Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Thought I'd start a rambling blog like a lot of others have done so I can drop in the non Atari stuff here and there.

It's been a good time of late for new tools, I've welcomed this bunch in to my house to help me with Atari duties:

Tools.jpg
Tools.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 33173 times

Left to right we have a Duratool vacuum desolder gun, a decent bench PSU and last, but by no means least, an Owon SDS1022 2ch oscilloscope.

I've only just got the PSU and 'scope, so need some more time to play, but I've had the desolder gun since Christmas, and if you don't have one, get one now! Below is what the results are like, it's way better then solder wick, just fantastic. The picture below is not cleaned up in any way.

Tidy.jpg
Tidy.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 33173 times

Last but by no means least, I thought since I was reclaiming components that I should get them organised, so here's what I did with a sheet of ESD foam and my label printer.

Organise.jpg
Organise.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 33173 times

I've got 2 sheets, so once I get some more stuff recovered I'll have room, and I need to label up the ROM section at bottom left, and add a section for the other chips I still need to pull :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by Icky »

@rubber_jonnie after seeing your initial report on the vacuum desolder gun I went and got one myself as a Christmas present :)

These tools are brilliant, once you have tried one you won't go back to anything else. It's a really good tool.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 pm @rubber_jonnie after seeing your initial report on the vacuum desolder gun I went and got one myself as a Christmas present :)

These tools are brilliant, once you have tried one you won't go back to anything else. It's a really good tool.
@Icky They are just brilliant, it's not just the quality of the desoldering, but the speed too, not to mention how safe they make the job, it's so easy to use without damage to the PCB.

There are some parts that are difficult, like where there is a large ground or 5v plane that soaks up the heat, but my god, best tool ever!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I agree. I wouldn't want to go back to the days before my Hakko FR-301. It took me about a quarter of an hour to replace all the RIFA capacitors on a Mac Plus analogue board today. The components literally fell out after the desoldering with completely clean holes. I'll just have to spend some more money on different sized nozels now.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Some more tools to add in here, the first being a magnetic dish for screw storage:

Mag_Dish.jpg
Mag_Dish.jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 33083 times

It's another brilliant tool, and sticks magnetically close by on my radiator :) Only contains Atari screws right now!

Then there's my cheapo chip puller that turned out better than expected for a £5 evilbay purchase:

Chip_Puller.jpg
Chip_Puller.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 33083 times
Will do up to 40 pin, and down to 16 if I recall correctly.

And last but by no means least, I built 2 Logic Analyser harnesses over the weekend :)

LA_Harness.jpg
LA_Harness.jpg (172.72 KiB) Viewed 33083 times

The originals were separate single pin plugs and a pain in the backside to wire up the the LA itself, so I bought a small harness that was double ended with 10 pin IDC plugs, chopped it in half and added the clips.

With getting the 520 ST fixed too, it was a good weekend. H4 is callling though....
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

I have found this seller to be just about the best price on the desolder stations in the UK:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323927466139

You may be able to find them cheaper on Bangood etc but a 2 day delivery time is worth its weight in gold.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Yep that is a good price, mine was a little more expensive (About £20) via Amazon, but it did arrive the next day, and I have found some of the eBay sellers don't deliver very quickly.

If you aren't in a hurry it's fine, but I was :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

So I ordered a difficult to find tool on Amazon, a chip puller, and decided whilst I was flush for a change I'd order one.

I checked the tracking and this is it's journey:
As_Bad_As_Mouser.JPG
As_Bad_As_Mouser.JPG (105.79 KiB) Viewed 33035 times
Once again a monumental journey for something quite trivial, like the parts I got from Mouser a bit back
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

I like Digikey, they always amaze me how fast they get orders to me. I can order something in the UK the same time and at worst the digikey is a day after and sometimes a good while before.

Here's looking at you Amigakit...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm I like Digikey, they always amaze me how fast they get orders to me. I can order something in the UK the same time and at worst the digikey is a day after and sometimes a good while before.

Here's looking at you Amigakit...
@PaulJ I tried a lot of places, Digikey, Mouser Farnell, Rapid, all the usual suspects, but Amazon was the only place I could get this tool. Even eBay didn't have it.

I just feel bad for the enviroment when I buy something small and it has to come from the other side of the world.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”