Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 pm
PaulJ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:40 pm Yes, was using telnet, tried a ping with no response.. maybe a mega doesn’t even do ping? Also traceroute doesn’t get there either so I’ll chalk the experience up to the opportunity to build telnet on the new machine. It was more a novelty to check it out anyway so not a great lost. I use telnet quite a bit and hadn’t bothered to install it yet.
Weird, works fine on my Mac, what machine did you try on?
I'm using a Mac Pro 6,1. Does the site have a max number of users? Does the site return ping requests? I'll try again later.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Weird, works fine on my Mac, what machine did you try on?
I'm using a Mac Pro 6,1. Does the site have a max number of users? Does the site return ping requests. I'll try again later.
I don't think so, I've never tried to connect and been rejected due to a user limit. As for ping, no they don't respond.

As I said I'm using my MacBook Pro 9,2 however I didn't install telnet, I downloaded Welly instead and it works just fine set up as a site in that.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie , just upgraded the trashcan from Mojave to Big Sir. No issues and Hatari 2.31 runs fine.:coffee:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:24 pm @rubber_jonnie , just upgraded the trashcan from Mojave to Big Sir. No issues and Hatari 2.31 runs fine.:coffee:
I don't think it's so much my install of Hatari, it's the files in Onedrive it doesn't like. If I download fresh files straight from the web to the Mac, it seems to run just fine.

I'm finding that zips, pdfs, Word, Excel et al from Onedrive are universally disliked by my Mac, even when copied from OD to my Downloads folder, but anything new is just fine.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:34 pm I don't think it's so much my install of Hatari, it's the files in Onedrive it doesn't like. If I download fresh files straight from the web to the Mac, it seems to run just fine.
I'm finding that zips, pdfs, Word, Excel et al from Onedrive are universally disliked by my Mac, even when copied from OD to my Downloads folder, but anything new is just fine.
Well Jon... it is MS. I'm sure they know better about the files you stored there than you do. They do force upgrades on the poor windoze users that brick machines.. erase files etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:06 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:34 pm I don't think it's so much my install of Hatari, it's the files in Onedrive it doesn't like. If I download fresh files straight from the web to the Mac, it seems to run just fine.
Well Jon... it is MS. I'm sure they know better about the files you stored there than you do. They do force upgrades on the poor windoze users that brick machines.. erase files etc.
It's funny, but I've never really had issues with MS and I've been using them since the days of DOS. I don't doubt other people have had problems, but then I could moan about Apple where it seems to have decided that you will have certain options set back to Apple defaults on every iPad and iPhone update. My wife will put off her updates as long as possible because of it.

As for Mac OS, well I can't say, I just don't have the experience, but so far I do think the pairing of OS and hardware does work really well though, I mean to think my 9 yr old MBP would be performing as well as it does and on a par with my XPS 15 is a shocker.

Going to look into the OD on Catalina subject, because I can't even open files I've copied from there.

Oh, and I may consider an MBP M1 for my next machine, but I really want 2nd generation to arrive before I consider it.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am Oh, and I may consider an MBP M1 for my next machine, but I really want 2nd generation to arrive before I consider it.
Yeah, never go for the first iteration of hardware. People who went for the first gen Intel Macs were burned by that as Apple dropped support for 32 bit x86 pretty darned quickly.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am Oh, and I may consider an MBP M1 for my next machine, but I really want 2nd generation to arrive before I consider it.
Yeah, never go for the first iteration of hardware. People who went for the first gen Intel Macs were burned by that as Apple dropped support for 32 bit x86 pretty darned quickly.
Quite. I had a 1st revision Orange SPV smartphone, and it did all kinds of weird stuff, so I went back to Nokia for a while and waited for a few iterations of Android before going in.
derkom

Post by derkom »

The M1x machines will be arriving in the fall, and I'm sure going to feel tempted by those.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

derkom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am
The M1x machines will be arriving in the fall, and I'm sure going to feel tempted by those.
I'll likely wait until this sort of time next year, maybe a bit later in September, since I really don't need a new laptop right now, plus we have a new house to pay for in 3 months!

Currently as well as my MBP I also have a Dell XPS 15 with 1 TB of storage and 32GB RAM, so I don't need something newer, but It will have to happen in a bit. For a start I do want to retire my Windows domain and a move to Mac only would make that an easier pill to swalllow. I guess we'll see!

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”