Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11333
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by exxos » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 am

@PhilC That was his dishwasher last week...
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3310
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am

exxos wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 am
@PhilC That was his dishwasher last week...
ok, so he'll be used to it by now then :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:49 am

PhilC wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am
exxos wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 am
@PhilC That was his dishwasher last week...
ok, so he'll be used to it by now then :lol:
Actually, the dishwasher wasn't that far off that pic 😁

As for the TF, we'll see!
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Cool, final packages of capacitors are here so I can crack on and finish the Mac Classic analog board re-cap tonight :)
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:20 pm

Hmmm, grumble grumble, Mac still dead.

At least the analog board is giving it the right power now, so I'll take that.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

atari030
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by atari030 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 am

I feel your pain. :D I think you got it and.....

Tomswork
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by Tomswork » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 am

I love old mac's they are just as easy to fix as trs-80 machines

@rubber_jonnie

Time to reseat the roms and ipa the board. If works then those horrible can capacitors

:ball:

Tom

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am

Tomswork wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 am
I love old mac's they are just as easy to fix as trs-80 machines

@rubber_jonnie

Time to reseat the roms and ipa the board. If works then those horrible can capacitors

:ball:

Tom
I already replaced the logic board caps, but no change. I did clean the board with IPA, but I've also taken the plunge and washed and gently scrubbed it as is suggested pretty much everywhere on the web! It had a final good rinse with clean fresh water and a blow out of all the sockets to get rid of any excess water in the pin holes, and is now in our drying cupboard. It worked about 6 months ago, so I think it should be fixable.

I would add there is no visible corrosion or cap leakage anywhere other than the analog board, and the battery, now removed, had not leaked either.

My main concern now is the ROM. I removed it to clean the pins and spray contact cleaner in the socket (This was before I decided to wash it) and the ROM is a single 512K item, 40 pin. The socket is 42 pin which I didn't notice when I removed it, so on plugging it back in and powering on, the ROM got quite warm to the touch. I have to say that the markings on the board are a bit misleading IMHO.

I have corrected that now having checked against an image of the same board, but have a worry that I fried the ROM.

I do have a ROM image so could make a replacement, but I don't know what EPROM/PROM would be a suitable replacement. Any advice here would go down well.

@cmorley Would your ROM emulator work in this scenario? The original ROM is 512KB.

I note that the 27C800 is 42 Pin, so wondering what my options are if I need to burn my own.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

cmorley
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by cmorley » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am
@cmorley Would your ROM emulator work in this scenario? The original ROM is 512KB.

I note that the 27C800 is 42 Pin, so wondering what my options are if I need to burn my own.
If it needs a 27C800 then yes the emulator should work. Pin 1 is A18 and pin 42 is NC on an M27C800 (1MB). Best thing to do is use a 41 pin strip of pins with one hanging off at the pin 1 corner - then use a short piece of wire to connect A18 pad to the spare pin (now pin 1). Or a just use some solid core instrument wire and poke it into the A18 socket.

Then configure the module as 27C800 from the options menu wizard.

Of course if you only need 512KB configure as 27C400 then plug it in leaving pins 1 & 42 free as you would in an Amiga...

(I am half wondering about putting castellated half holes above pins 1 & 40 on the emu so you can solder 42 pins of pin strip on without wires.)

User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am

cmorley wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am
rubber_jonnie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am
@cmorley Would your ROM emulator work in this scenario? The original ROM is 512KB.

I note that the 27C800 is 42 Pin, so wondering what my options are if I need to burn my own.
If it needs a 27C800 then yes the emulator should work. Pin 1 is A18 and pin 42 is NC on an M27C800 (1MB). Best thing to do is use a 41 pin strip of pins with one hanging off at the pin 1 corner - then use a short piece of wire to connect A18 pad to the spare pin (now pin 1). Or a just use some solid core instrument wire and poke it into the A18 socket.

Then configure the module as 27C800 from the options menu wizard.

Of course if you only need 512KB configure as 27C400 then plug it in leaving pins 1 & 42 free as you would in an Amiga...

(I am half wondering about putting castellated half holes above pins 1 & 40 on the emu so you can solder 42 pins of pin strip on without wires.)
As it happens, I only need 512KB, so I can configure as a 27C400 then, which would be easier. Still getting my head around ROM sizes!!

That damn mobo socket is so easy to get wrong :(

Thanks!!
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”