Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ I'm pretty sure that list isn't comprehensive, especially since each category will have sub categories 😁

There may even be some missing.....

:D
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 am Thanks @PaulJ , do you also have a guide for correct chip orientation?
Phil, I would have included an orientation guide but for fuses they can be inserted either way. I would watch out for the brass fuse though maybe insert the pointy end away from ya. :D :D :hide:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@PaulJ seems like reasonable advice.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 pm @PaulJ seems like reasonable advice.
Just purchase the better part of two 1040’s and both had supplies with missing fuses. Assume the supplies are suspect but had to order fuses just not the ones pictured. I would guess a lot of the current ratings are bad. Don’t believe the flip top could do 130 amps not to mention some of the other ratings.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Re: NetUSBee
I thought I'd try it again in the STFM with TF536 and I monitored what the CPU actually sees.

Very interesting. It doesn't pull the bus down very well. It's extremely weak. Most of the bits hardly make it down to TTL low levels of voltage, and many don't.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 pm Re: NetUSBee
Very interesting. It doesn't pull the bus down very well. It's extremely weak. Most of the bits hardly make it down to TTL low levels of voltage, and many don't.
Ya know that maybe a good clue. We have decreased the resistance values of the pull-ups which could cause a higher low if being driver with a weaker device. I've been playing with the bee on the H5 and part of the issue is the recycled cartridge connector. After a good cleaning and a lub with some electronic cleaner its much better. However its not a 100%... usually works booting from a cold system. But if its been on for some time it fails occasionally. Another funny thing is you can start it cold, exit and restart hours later and it works. Without that cold start its a top up if its going to start when warm.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Even 2.2K pull ups is only 2.2mA... What it using to drive the bus anyway ? if it cant pull down a couple of mA then its going to need some buffering to work properly.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well I went to give Exxos's Trudie V5.2 a try and notices the only place I could put a tos rom was on the H4/H5 mother board under the supply which sorta sucks or use the Rom emulator. So I decided I needed another solution since I have quite a number of 27c010/27c020 chips laying around. I layed out another rom board to use with Trudie. I'll let ya know how it works when I get the boards. Was a pain laying it out in the limited space of a DIP 68k.
RomCard.jpg
RomCard.jpg (352.14 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well had a major Boner on the first layout. I got the PLCC socket layout from Mouser and used it as received. Yup how would they know what I'm putting in the socket but I wired it up as. Never guess it was pin configured as a socket 1-32.. My BAD.. :oops: So I actually used Exxos's Eagle tutorial to reconfigure the socket as an 27c020. I was able to cancel the dud and update the gerbers and added an adaptor to program the 27c020 PLCC in a dip socket.

So since I was delayed I threw in the Rom simulator and gave Trudie a test run to check it out in my H4. Works great and appreciate the smaller foot print. I was going supply a pic but not up for making a pic with 800 px.. Maybe a size limit would be a little user friendly. Never the less Trudie works fine in the H4 with the rom emulator.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie , I just noticed the picture below in one of your posts. Do you see anything suspectious about this picture? For me it looks like the vicious soldering iron has put out bait. You innocently goto pickup the board up and ZAP !!! the iron will strike and who knows what damage will occur to your remaining fingers. Please exercise extreme caution Rj... you only have ten fingers.
:sigh:

MB_Underside.jpg
MB_Underside.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 3173 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”