Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ »

Another observation of picky netusbee. Last night it quit working... wouldn't start. Would flash something on the screen then quickly go back to the desktop. Took out the ole iPhone and did a video so I could see what it was saying.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (115.66 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
Flashes up to quick to read but captured it with the video. So I checked the power supply and it was reading 4.890.. so I cranked it up to 5.00 volts and it works again. The bee must have a narrow band of voltage in which it works. Sure its voltage related.. didn't turn off the St but just adjusted voltage and tried again. Maybe when they built the bee they got a deal on 8019's that were rejected from some other product. Have a couple ethernet to usb adaptors that use 8019's that are don't exhibit this issue. Maybe its just this bee?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's INCREADIBLY finicky.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I totally agree but I wonder why, its using the same chip as the ethernet to usb adaptor required by the lightning board which exhibits none of this finicky behavior. Wonder if its a design issue or shoddy components? I'm leaning towards a design issue today. Isn't the bee public domain..? As I recall I have come across a schematic some where.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

When I examined the Lotherek version, the decoupling capacitors seemed a bit far from the chips. Also he's used "HC" CMOS chips which aren't fully TTL compatible in terms of the logic levels.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Just to confirm, my NetUSBee doesn't like the Exxos PSU.

The STFM I'm using as a development machine was OK with the NetUSBee until this morning when I swapped out power supplies from the stock to the Exxos one and then it just stopped responding. It can't even read the ethernet PROM.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Theres something really screwy with NetUSBee , nothing should be that sensitive to what PSU is used. Mine have way better regulation than the originals, things should be better, not worse.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

The netusbee is pretty sensitive to voltage, anyway the Ethernet for sure. This voltage issue is correctable (via voltage adj) but in my mega it hangs the mega immediately. Doesn’t get far in the boot process. I believe when its looking for executable code in the cartridge it thinks it sees code and jumps there immediately hangs the machine. Would be a great plug in to the 68000 socket on a H4 or H5 if we could get the thing more reliable. I suspect the 8019’s must be crap since the the usb half of the device appears solid and all the usb Ethernet adaptors don’t exhibit this issue. Hmm.. would be interesting to replace the 8019 Ethernet device with a quality one.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I've noticed some of you appear to be having issues with power supply currents and required fuse sizes. So in an effort to put this subject to bed once and for all I've taken the liberty of posting this guide for fuse replacement. Pay attention @PhilC , @rubber_jonnie .

Fuse.jpg
Fuse.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks @PaulJ , do you also have a guide for correct chip orientation?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:lol:

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”