Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ »

Received the Mega adaptor board and floppy cable reverser boards today. Put one of each together and both work as expected so @rubber_jonnie here's the gerbers for the Mega and a couple of shots of the boards prior to construction and installation. The floppy cable reverser has a somewhat damaged connector I used just to check out the board.
MegaEmuGerbers.zip
(45.95 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
IMG_2535.jpg
IMG_2535.jpg (539.34 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg (776.55 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@cmorley , adaptor boards for your emu27c400 working fine in the H4 and Mega computers.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ That's even more awesome work!

I need to get this stuff done, very cool, thanks! I'm going to get a bunch of projects together and off to PCBWay all at once.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:59 am @PaulJ That's even more awesome work!

I need to get this stuff done, very cool, thanks! I'm going to get a bunch of projects together and off to PCBWay all at once.
Well Rj here's the last one if you're interested. Aways found it irritating when using a Gotek that the cable needed to be twisted to plug it. Here's the last set of gerbers. This one rotates the the 34 pin floppy cable connector.
FloppyRev.zip
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
rev.png
rev.png (541.05 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Somebody's been busy in lockdown!!

TBH for my Goteks I use a 3d printed mount that flips them over, so this isn't a worry for me, but appreciate the stuff all the same :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ya I did print a mount that flipped the board over but the USB stick needed to be plugged in upside down. When I was moving the stick around I tend keep the stick in the same orientation so when I moved to the upside down Gotek it wouldn't go in so I'd need to look at the orientation. Not a big deal mind you or for that matter not even a small deal but having the Gotek orintated correctly is a subtlety I like. Thanks @kodak80 ..
JezC

Post by JezC »

@PaulJ Is that cable flip just for a Gotek or does it also apply when using a 'normal' 3.5" floppy drive (from a PC for example)?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

JezC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:09 pm @PaulJ Is that cable flip just for a Gotek or does it also apply when using a 'normal' 3.5" floppy drive (from a PC for example)?
Its like twisting the cable 180 degree's for whatever reason. So if you have a floppy that requires a twisted cable this adaptor should right it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Just submitted my latest creation to OSH Park. The Emu27c400 integrated with a variation of PP's IDE interface. His design that @rubber_jonnie built didn't use the data buffers. I didn't want to connect the data bus directly to a io device so I used the buffered one. I also rotated the 44 pin IDE 180 degrees so the smart card device sets over this board and doesn't stick out. So if it works it should be pretty cool for a H4, bunch of TOS images and IDE interface on a pretty small foot print. Now all I have to do is get it running.

bi.png
bi.png (170.36 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well nothing to do with an Atari but it has to do with computers in general and updates one receives from the manufacture. I'm getting sick and tired of updates that brake things. In the summer I do a lot of bike riding and use my performance to judge my current condition. I usually ride 14 - 20 miles at an average speed of 18 MPH... for years and years. In June my speed would be normal for approximately .5 miles and then drop from ~17.5 mph to 14.0... with a constant cadence and in the same gear... after a few miles normal speed would come back convincing me I was losing my fitness.. or my mind :( Got a new speed sensor which didn't help. Put new batteries in everything.. no help. Well thinking I was crocking and in desperation I tried my old bike path that sucks for scenery but low and behold my speed was I would expect.. hmm. Researched the issue and some people had trouble with the cell phone app overloading the bike computer causing speed issues. Went on bike ride without the phone no help.. Had an old garmin bike computer so I hooked up its sensors and ran it in parallel with the wahoo computer. Shesh.. older than the hills and it still reads the speed I expect.. What in the world is wrong with this POS wahoo!!! Carefully examine the data I see this. Constant cadence.. orange line.. in the the same gear while in this area of bike ride.. why the sudden drop in speed (gray)..
bc.png
bc.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Well I since I changed the speed sensor and its still broken.. must be the computer its self. Ordered a new one. Guess what.. same shit.. bad on my normal path good on the old bike path.. SH$%^%T... sent it back!! Well on the garmin ages ago I had to put in the tire diameter but that didn't happen with the wahoo?? Well looking into wahoo tire diameter they computer diameter all the time on the fly using tire rotations and GPS distance.. Looked into the reams of setup stuff on the phone and sure enough it things tire diameter is 1.9 meters while its really 2.114 which is 80 revolutions off in a mile. Shesh new software this spring which broke it!!

Its getting really difficult in upgrading anything for fear some idiot screwed it up and letting the customer test it. I have had bad OSX, Windows, and now Wahoo upgrades this year. Maybe I'll just stop doing software upgrades. :( Seems you get more issues than fixes these days.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”