Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
thorsten.otto

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by thorsten.otto »

exxos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm I So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
EmuTOS's driver works with Falcon-IDE, and Lightning. If it does not work with your board, there must be something different (maybe just a timing issue). @czietz might be able to tell more
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

thorsten.otto wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:34 am
exxos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm I So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
EmuTOS's driver works with Falcon-IDE, and Lightning. If it does not work with your board, there must be something different (maybe just a timing issue). @czietz might be able to tell more
@thorsten.otto - it has been confirmed that EmuTOS does work with our board. The initial usage @PaulJ did was on a CF that was not formatted correctly. Using a correctly formatted card it worked correctly.

Thus our IDE DEV board the basis of Trudie, Lightning and Falcon-IDE all work with EmuTOS.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:06 am Thus our IDE DEV board the basis of Trudie, Lightning and Falcon-IDE all work with EmuTOS.
Yes, its working good with the newly formatted 2 patitian 1 GB compact flash device that was non-functional originally. :) :)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie here is the setup for the eprom emulator, You need to take a usb cable and cut off one end. Note that the black and red are ground and +5. The green and white are the usb data. If you look it up you can find the white and green both ways. So if it doesn't talk reverse the white and green wires. You can connect it to usb and it will be alive and let you play with the programming without the emulator being plugged into anything. I initially left it in the antistatic foam and played with the programming. You should get your option menu to look like the example in the text file. You can set the "initial ROM" to 0-7 each being programmed as a different boot eprom. The #6 in my emulator is TOS 1.04 + IDE. Also you need a usb serial program. On a Mac I use Serial which works great. When it powers up you get a menu to select which device you want to talk to. The eprom emulator shows up as "STM32 Virtual ComPort" and when selected you should see a rotating "/". To get a menu hit "h". Also it doesn't echo keypresses so you should setup your terminal program to half duplex which is painful but its better than typing in the dark.

rjp.jpg
rjp.jpg (235.4 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Rj.txt
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Brilliant, thanks I will take a proper look tonight 😁
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well not that I don't have enough Irons in the fire but while attempting to get my SWTPC S+ to bootUniFlex a 8 bit V7 Unix derivative I ran into is design which I couldn't pass up. One more iron in the fire.
20191014_184954a.jpg
20191014_184954a.jpg (205.31 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg (521.03 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well I have to say I love the EEtools ChipMax2 burn it all burner. Pulled a major boner the other day with it. I upgraded the software and low and behold broke it. :-o Spent days on and off attempting to get the software to run on the windoze 7 machine that had previously ran and another xp windoze machine I pulled out of the shed with no success. I'm a real PC hater and had a 12 year old PC with windows 7 32bit os just to run the programmer. I talked to EEtools and reading between the lines the 32 bit driver has been abandoned even thought they tout 32 bit capability. Couldn't find the software I had originally installed on it that did work so it came down to paying money to MS or buying a new modern windows machine. So being the windoze hater that I am I elected to buy a modern pc running windoze 10 which I understand is a supper piece of shit. Guess MS forces updates on ya that have lost data or/and rendered these machine un-bootable. The only face saving nugget in this decision is I can dual boot Linux which makes the investment some what usefully. MS, this is for you: :smackbum: :smackbum: :smackbum: :smackbum: :smackbum:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Totally understand your situation.

I need a windows machine for work and have my own for use with things like the atmel, xilinx etc CPLD programmers. Would rather use my 2007 imac than windows.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:02 pm Totally understand your situation.

I need a windows machine for work and have my own for use with things like the atmel, xilinx etc CPLD programmers. Would rather use my 2007 imac than windows.
Ya, I despise windoze, always been a pain in the ass installing drivers and have them run consistently. The more drivers you install on a windoze machine the issues you encounter go up dramatically. There is is no end to windoze issues and having MS force broken updates on people is a new level arrogance. I had pretty much found that if you dedicate a windoze machine to one or two diverse applications the garbage os would remain stable and not need constant care and feeding. I guess the 32 bit driver versions are becoming abandoned even though venders still claim 32 bit comparability as seen by EETools they stop working. I'm sure I'll be sorry but I did order a new I7 machine equipped with windows 10. Worst case I'll just load Linux over the top of windoze or if it does meet my needs maybe a dual boot setup would be in order. Time will tell. MacOS isn't without faults but compared to windoze the warts are not worth mentioning.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

For those that are interested there's a new uiptool version 287 that has a ftp server that works with winscp which is pretty sweet for the windozes fans. Have tested it with netusbee so far. :)

https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/ ... =downloads

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”