Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:11 pm @PaulJ Nah, not drinking it, I have Jim Beam Bourbon for that.

However all the parts I'm getting from god knows where are getting an IPA wash before use, especially the PCBWay stuff I have due from China!

Other stuff is going into quarantine for 3 days to give the Coronavirus a chance to die off before I open it!!
They had a clip on tv where places are making hand sanitizer by mixing 1/3 aloe with 2/3 alcohol. There having trouble getting the aloe not the alcohol so I'm sure that also raises alcohol prices. I haven't seen how long this virus lives on surfaces but I am putting packages in quarantine for 4 or five days. Wonder if a uv light would kill it? Also when packaged are in the system I would guess a lot of the handling is done by machine so I would guess the actual trip is a little hard for the virus to survive..

Good to hear your drinking the good stuff Jon... :thumbup:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Yep, nothing but the good stuff for me :)

I had also heard about the home brew hand sanitiser and mixing problems, but IMHO if I want to sanitise using IPA I'll use a cloth with it on, them moisturise separately! TBH we have plenty of liquid soap etc, so IPA will be a last resort.

We are wiping down post with surface wipes beforehand too.

There is a suggestion that for hard surfaces such as plastic or steel, then 72hrs is the lifetime, with 24 hrs for cardboard and less on other surfaces. So a 3-5 day quarantine is reasonable assuming it has been in the post a couple of days.

I for one will be thoroughly cleaning my stuff when I unpack it though, even post quarantine.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie , had all the parts so I finished her up. Guess tomorrow we will see if it works. Put all the jumpers under the socket... you can see one of the wires peeking out. :) Ribbon cable is pretty tight so had to file the edge of. Not much of the connect lock left.

IMG_2484 copy.jpg
IMG_2484 copy.jpg (721.96 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Nice one, look forward to seeing how it all plays out :)

Fingers crossed at least enough parts for me to finish one will arrive today!!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well, first board works fine. Have it working with the eprom emulator. Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board. Like Hdriver better anyway. I need to build up a SD card for this machine now. @Icky , @rubber_jonnie if this isn't a high rise worthy of use on the remake I don't know what is. :) :) :)
IMG_2485b.jpg
IMG_2485b.jpg (736.91 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Cool, looks good and I think I need to get me one of those boards :)

Everybody likes a good stack, next challenge for me is to get my PAK 68/2 running on the H4.With IDE :) I love a PAK sandwich.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07 pm @PaulJ Cool, looks good and I think I need to get me one of those boards :)

Everybody likes a good stack, nect challenge for me is to get my PAK 68/2 running on the H4.With IDE :) I love a PAK sandwich.
Its pretty sweet.. holds eight top images which you can program via USB. Plus when you program you can choose to byte swap or not, do partial burns. you can hook it up to the reset line and hold for over a second and it will step to the next image. Its a little short on documentation and when you program it and enter parameters it doesn't echo characters so your working in the dark. Plan to turn on local echo and see if I can make that work. All in all though its good and solid and works great. Also the target eprom has a mode where you tell it its a eight bit eprom and it puts all data out the lower eight bits or it does 16 bits which is being used for the H4 and mega. Plan to connect one to my 6809 SWTPC system.
re1.png
re1.png (118.7 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
re2.png
re2.png (120.47 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
re3.png
re3.png (115.31 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PaulJ Damn, that's fine looking.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 pm @PaulJ Damn, that's fine looking.
When I was working on getting OS9 running on my SWTPC I used a Moates Ostrich 2 that is meant to replace eprom in a car computer to work on code. Its less capable and costs $175.00. This emulator is 20 pounds which is extremely reasonable I think. I have four of them and may buy more. I found it some what user hostile because it has so many options and there's very little documentation. I need to make real adaptor boards since the prototype board works in the H4 and mega.
czietz

Post by czietz »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board.
It works with other Falcon-compatible IDE interfaces, like the Lightning ST, for sure. But please be aware that IDE support is only included in EmuTOS ROMs 256k and bigger, not in the 192k version.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”