Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Post by JezC »

Ah, ok - will see what resistors I can find...

Makes sense as I can see on another ST (which was a 1040 originally) that has a Marpet memory upgrade fitted & there are these 3 resistors cut at one end & connected to +5v on a big electrolytic cap.

Though I doubt that will be the end of the saga, it seems worth a go later this evening!

Thanks all - will report back with any news when I can.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@JezC No worries, the tech team is ready and waiting :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:36 pm @JezC No worries, the tech team is ready and waiting :)
@rubber_jonnie Thanks - much appreciated.

Didn't manage to try pulling up the RAS/CAS signals last night (couldn't find suitable resistors but will search more later).

Instead, I looked at another failing system, this is a 520STM with a C070859 board (SMT GLUE & MMU) which wasn't showing the outer/inner display areas at boot.
Popped in the DiagROM EPROMs (I'm beginning to think that a DiagROM cart would be handy at this point!) & no RAM faults reported...will upload the results here later (and also the results for a boot on a good machine for reference) but I'm wondering if it's a fault on the display circuitry somewhere as much of the rest of the core circuitry appears to be running OK.

Hoping that the long weekend will give me a bit more time to progress the repairs (and even get more done with the first H4!) but there are plenty of non-retro tasks to tackle as well...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 am I'm beginning to think that a DiagROM cart would be handy at this point!
I'd say that getting a diag cart would be useful, it's way easier than switching the ROMs round. I can't recall where I got mine from, but mine does have the advantage of having some LEDs, so that when you boot to the diag rom it it flashes like a HDD activity light.

It might not seem like much, but if you don't see the light, it's a pointer something isn't right in ROM land.

Also it's worthwhile getting a diag cart, @exxos has them in his store, that has the offical Atari diagnostic tools, which are referenced in the service manuals. It makes it easier to cross check, and also outputs to serial.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
DoG

Post by DoG »

Black Cat Hardware have empty 64kb and 128Kb cartridges you can use with TerribleFires diagrom.

Otherwise is exxos diag cart with original Atari test rom AND gembench AND memtest really great.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:31 am I'd say that getting a diag cart would be useful, it's way easier than switching the ROMs round. I can't recall where I got mine from, but mine does have the advantage of having some LEDs, so that when you boot to the diag rom it it flashes like a HDD activity light.

It might not seem like much, but if you don't see the light, it's a pointer something isn't right in ROM land.

Also it's worthwhile getting a diag cart, @exxos has them in his store, that has the offical Atari diagnostic tools, which are referenced in the service manuals. It makes it easier to cross check, and also outputs to serial.
@rubber_jonnie I think you've mentioned more than one cart in your various posts (one refernce to cartman & another to one from gossuin.be - though the latter might just be the test leads etc.?
One has some LEDs on it which show some simple diagnostic 9and sounds helpful)..

I think I'd probably want something like the board that @exxos does but without the EPROM so that I could put my own collection of programs on it (Atari diagnostic for ST/STE & Falcon, TF DiagROM for example)...

I got a bit further with the third non-booting system, looks like it's only seeing the first 128k of RAM instead of the whole 512k. So I'd hazard a guess that one of the address lines is faulty ;)

Better download the schematics & see where it goes. :roll:
JezC

Post by JezC »

DoG wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:44 am Black Cat Hardware have empty 64kb and 128Kb cartridges you can use with TerribleFires diagrom.

Otherwise is exxos diag cart with original Atari test rom AND gembench AND memtest really great.
@DoG Thanks for the links - the external cart for my own EPROMs sounds handy!

Better see what else I'm still short of for the first H4 & then see what is left (i.e. how little) in the budget... :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@JezC I find that the schematics can be a a hindrance due to their poor quality. They do have their uses, but I'd suggest buzzing out the address lines, it's quicker, and it'll give you a more accurate picture of what's going on.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 pm @JezC I find that the schematics can be a a hindrance due to their poor quality. They do have their uses, but I'd suggest buzzing out the address lines, it's quicker, and it'll give you a more accurate picture of what's going on.
@rubber_jonnie Ok, thanks for the warning.
I was hoping to work out which address line it was (and whether for row or column address) & use the schematics to trace all the nets on that memory bus...but maybe I should re-think that approach.

Something to ponder overnight. :?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@JezC Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”