Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am My BBC PSUs were ok regarding the caps, if you do nothing else to the PSU, replace the RIFA smoke generators.
@rubber_jonnie Cheers for the info...I will check how the caps look but definitely swap the RIFAs.
Where did you get your replacements from if you don't mind me asking?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, just get rid of the RIFAs. I just replace them with any X2 capacitors of the correct values, though I prefer the polythene ones.

Seeing as they're merely mains noise suppression capacitors even the values don't matter too much, as long as they're in the same ball park.

I buy mine from RS, but Farnell have them too.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:37 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am My BBC PSUs were ok regarding the caps, if you do nothing else to the PSU, replace the RIFA smoke generators.
@rubber_jonnie Cheers for the info...I will check how the caps look but definitely swap the RIFAs.
Where did you get your replacements from if you don't mind me asking?
I got mine from Retroclinic (http://www.retroclinic.com/) via eBay. His kits do use RIFAs rather than an alternative X2, such as polyester or such like, but for the amount of use they will see, I feel like it's ok.

The kit contains the new RIFAs and the starter cap.

He also does full recap kits if that's something you feel you need to do.

As Stephen said, replacing with any X2 will be fine as long as the value is 'about right' as they're just noise suppression.

BTW, the voltages are factory set by a some resistors, so adjustment is not an easy thing. The PSU I recapped was fine after doing so, so only mentioning it in case yours isn't. Look for between 4.75v & 5,25v and you do need the -5V for the audio chip.

BTW they don't boot properly without a KBD, so make sure it's connected.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I took the easy route and replaced the PSU for a mean well one, was about £12-20ish if I remember correctly. You do need to 3d print an adaptor bracket but after that it works great.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:32 am I took the easy route and replaced the PSU for a mean well one, was about £12-20ish if I remember correctly. You do need to 3d print an adaptor bracket but after that it works great.
Sounds like a good cop-out to me!

:lol: :poke: :hide:
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Ah, have used them before...and reasonably local too!

I'll see what else I can afford. Ta.
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 am Yeah, just get rid of the RIFAs. I just replace them with any X2 capacitors of the correct values, though I prefer the polythene ones.

Seeing as they're merely mains noise suppression capacitors even the values don't matter too much, as long as they're in the same ball park.

I buy mine from RS, but Farnell have them too.
Thanks...if I can't afford the kits I'll add some parts to my next order.

Much appreciated. :thumbup:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BTW here is a really nice searchable BBC schematic, I got is from the stardot forum. Might come in handy, just remove the .txt from the end to use.
Attachments
bbc_micro_mainboard_iss7_20210909.pdf.txt
(492.79 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Thanks for that @rubber_jonnie - had a quick dig around in the garage & have found the old Philips greenscreen monitor & lead that I used with my original BBC model B back in the mid-80s...

Not yet moved the Master out there to try it but I did get as far as looking at another reasonably recent ST acquisition - this one is a red LED model (both power & floppy access) sporting TOS 1.00 & a 2Meg memory upgrade.

So far everything else seems to work fine (I think it's a very early motherboard with the processor under the keyboard but will hopefully get chance to check tomorrow).

It'll need some TOS 1.04 EPROMs fitting & then see if I can plug in a couple more SIMMs to get it up to 4M...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, managed to relocate the Master into the garage & connect it up to the green screen monitor...picture was much clearer on that (after I adjusted the vertical hold...).

It's saying "This is not a language" & showing the * prompt...which IIRC basically means the internal battery needs replacing & then resetting to defaults.

But, the display is very clear via the composite output!

So, I'll look to order a new battery as well as the RIFA caps etc. once payday arrives!

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”