Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Post by JezC »

@PhilC Ah, ok - I will stop wasting my time on trying other images/CF cards & get set up to update the CPLDs then.

Thanks!
JezC

Post by JezC »

First post in over a month...partly inspired by having added another 1040 ST + SM 124 + DataPulse HDD (plus another complete copy of Notator) to the collection... :roll: ...and they all seem to be working OK :o

As that went more smoothly than expected, I've been encouraged to try and progress some other areas of my retro hobby...so in between some frantic packing up of presents for the family (and not leave it all to late Christmas Eve for a change!), I've managed to resurrect another ST from the "to be fixed" pile and it's now working with the full 1024k memory on the main-board!

I'm also making some progress sorting through the pile of components to fit to the H5 and second H4 with the ultimate aim of placing an order for the remaining shortages before or early in the new year... so far the shifter is proving to be the trickiest to source so I may have to bite the bullet and sacrifice at least one of the other potential RIP boards to let me prove the functionality.

Of course I live in hope of the projects to replace the shifter & produce a true HDMI out coming to fruition, then I will have another option for at least one of the remake boards.

If time allows I want to sort out trying to upgrade the CPLDs on my first TF536 to get the IDE working on H4 #1...I have found my RasPi 3 at last, so next step is to follow some tutorials & get the wiring ready.

Whether I get to make another post on this topic before the New Year arrives is still to be determined ;)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Just don’t connect the “VCC” pin on the JTAG connector to the Pi.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:12 pm Just don’t connect the “VCC” pin on the JTAG connector to the Pi.
@stephen_usher Thanks for the warning... I've seen mention elsewhere to power the TF536 independently and not via the JTAG header so I will check everything twice!
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

JezC wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:24 pm ... so far the shifter is proving to be the trickiest to source so I may have to bite the bullet and sacrifice at least one of the other potential RIP boards to let me prove the functionality.
There is someone here in Australia selling shifter ICs: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PH23-024-C0 ... 4229811892 although I find it cheaper to buy a whole ST and break for components for the H4/H5 boards.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
JezC

Post by JezC »

@kodak80 Thanks for the link...I think the postage from down under would make it cheaper to buy a whole machine too...but the shifter alone isn't too bad compared to the price for an ST here in the UK!
Prices have rocketed here over the last year or two.

Merry Christmas all!

:merryxmas:
JezC

Post by JezC »

I've been sidelined for the last few days after putting my back out...I was reorganising the study and collecting all the bits for the H5 & H4 #2 & twisted round (to pick up a duster of all things)... then felt a twinge in the small of my back.
:roll:
So probably won't get any more retro projects progressed until sometime in the new year.

Gutted!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:( I managed to dislocate 3 ribs just sitting down at a bench once.. didn't even know such things were possible.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:13 am I've been sidelined for the last few days after putting my back out...I was reorganising the study and collecting all the bits for the H5 & H4 #2 & twisted round (to pick up a duster of all things)... then felt a twinge in the small of my back.
:roll:
So probably won't get any more retro projects progressed until sometime in the new year.

Gutted!
Damn, that's rubbish!!

You could just get completely hammered tonight and see if everything pops into place overnight. If it doesn't work then you can do it all over again on New Years Eve, just to check....

That isn't a medical recommendation BTW!!!

Hope you feel better soon.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Yup, not at all impressed! Though I'm taking it as a sign that I'm not meant to do any dusting! :lol: That might even become a new year's resolution! ;)

I've been (mostly) laying off the booze while on the painkillers...but am back on plain paracetamol now so I might try to lift a glass or two later...and see how I get on with that. Might help me sleep if nothing else!

Thanks!

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”