Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Cosmic Puppet

Re: Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm @rubber_jonnie Yup, not at all impressed! Though I'm taking it as a sign that I'm not meant to do any dusting! :lol: That might even become a new year's resolution! ;)

I've been (mostly) laying off the booze while on the painkillers...but am back on plain paracetamol now so I might try to lift a glass or two later...and see how I get on with that. Might help me sleep if nothing else!

Thanks!
Finally dusted after 3 days, as I figure it's better to wash the sheets and vacuum first. Off to throw myself down the stairs now so I can't do anymore dusting. :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Cosmic Puppet Well, instead of throwing myself down the stairs (or extreme dusting ;) )...I can rely on our Malamute to cause me some injury or other in this cold & frosty weather!

Her energy levels seem to at least double when the temperature drops to 5 degrees or below...and goes up an order of magnitude if there is any snow on the ground! So, just when we lose all our grip, she is in her element with 4 paw drive & immense pulling power... :roll:
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm @Cosmic Puppet Well, instead of throwing myself down the stairs (or extreme dusting ;) )...I can rely on our Malamute to cause me some injury or other in this cold & frosty weather!

Her energy levels seem to at least double when the temperature drops to 5 degrees or below...and goes up an order of magnitude if there is any snow on the ground! So, just when we lose all our grip, she is in her element with 4 paw drive & immense pulling power... :roll:
:lol: Us poor humans with only 2 legs.

You just reminded me that I was watching a real life cop show and googled how fast a German Shepherd can run. 30 miles an hour! :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:05 pm :lol: Us poor humans with only 2 legs.

You just reminded me that I was watching a real life cop show and googled how fast a German Shepherd can run. 30 miles an hour! :lol:
Had a look for the UK record for a single Malamute - in 2017 a 150lb dog pulling 5400lbs! Luckily our Jet is only about half that weight...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Wow...first post on this blog this year...where did that first 3 months go...?

Anyway, had a moment of success while sorting through 'junk' in the garage...found my original HD Driver disc, so have now upgraded that to v11.06

Next trick is to have the time to try it on some of my systems... :D
JezC

Post by JezC »

Oh dear...tomorrow is the summer solstice and this is only the second post on this blog this year... :( :roll:

Anyway, the main reasons for the lack of posts is the recovery from a slipped disc just after Christmas followed by orders from "the boss" to relocate the vast majority of my retro computer/synth hoard ('junk' was the very inaccurate and harsh terminology used by my dear wife...) from the study to the garage...which needed a lot of other stuff in the garage to be sorted first. :roll:

While not yet finished, I do now have a lot of the working STF/M's relocated in boxes into the garage & a few systems to fix still in the study (but in a much more organised fashion...so they are allowed to stay for now at least).
So, I'm almost ready to fix the STE systems I managed to break/bought already broken & then get back onto fixing the STF/Ms plus H4/H5 boards & various upgrades from exxos.
Yay - almost 6 months later than planned but that seems to be the norm. Sigh.

Also managed to pick up another working STFM for a reasonable price (and it is working, with a 2meg memory upgrade for good measure! - just a mangled case and one key missing from the keyboard), so one of the broken systems will probably become the donor for the H5C1 when that finally arrives.

Aiming to get another one of the STEs fixed & then try the dual TOS upgrade plus an accelerator...hopefully before Christmas! ;)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Having to relocate your valuable collection of retro computers to the garage seems a bit harsh :o

Especially with a slipped disc to recover from, you should have been resting up :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sounds to me like you should convert the garage into a proper man cave, for all your projects and hobbies :) just need a little bell and intercom for ordering cups of tea from her indoors :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Steve wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 am Sounds to me like you should convert the garage into a proper man cave, for all your projects and hobbies :) just need a little bell and intercom for ordering cups of tea from her indoors :)
Who needs an intercom :) I'll have my own fridge and kettle etc in the new man-cave.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:57 am
Steve wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 am Sounds to me like you should convert the garage into a proper man cave, for all your projects and hobbies :) just need a little bell and intercom for ordering cups of tea from her indoors :)
Who needs an intercom :) I'll have my own fridge and kettle etc in the new man-cave.
Indeed! The intercom would only make it easier for your other half to interrupt your hobby time ;) :lol:

No fridge but there is an old kettle in there..and a tap.

The back is mostly recovered - thanks to our sled dog stretching me (like being on a rack!) on a daily basis.

The other option suggested was to hire a skip :shock: :o so relocation to the garage was the preferred option.

The sort out has turned up a few missing items as well, so not all bad news! Still no sign of my Falcon to ST monitor adaptor or the Blow-up video lead, alas.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”