Keyboard repair

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
DoG

Keyboard repair

Post by DoG »

So I go a cheap UK keyboard in November 2019 from eBay for repair or parts. A normal ST one. Not a fancy Mega keyboard. So I thought I'll take it apart and try to fix it if it is possible. It look rather nice after all. Lets check the damages first...
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Hmm, this probably happen when someone played a game and got frustrated when not beating some level. Obviously punched on the keyboard with the fist and the support pillar underneath created the hole. Just remove the loose parts...
Black hole on the other side of universe.jpg
Black hole on the other side of universe.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Ok, get some wire and start soldering then. Many ways you can solve this. It just a matter of connecting the broken traces, its just tedious. Using the photo I took before starting and using a multimeter to beep out that nothing is shorted that shouldn't be and the correct traces is connected. I reflowed the mouse and joystick port as well when I had the PCB open.
Top and bottom fixes.jpg
Top and bottom fixes.jpg (189.63 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Well, it looks like crap but it will do the job. No one will see that. Now time to test it. I remembered I got a small PCB some time ago to connect Atari keyboard to USB. The PC detects it as a keyboard with 2 joysticks.
Checking keyboard on PC.jpg
Checking keyboard on PC.jpg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Works fine as I suspected it to do since all the multimeter probing checked out fine. You can also test it with a test cartridge on the Atari.

Checking keyboard on Atari with test cartridge.gif
Checking keyboard on Atari with test cartridge.gif (86.98 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Connected with Atari.jpg
Connected with Atari.jpg (157.25 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
I can't leave it like that. It will probably break again, so I mixed up a small batch of epoxy glue a poured it in the hole. Oh, I put a bit of tape on the other side first of course. And make sure nothing is flowing or touching the carbon print on the PCB.
Glued.jpg
Glued.jpg (156.3 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Finished!
Keyboard.jpg
Keyboard.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard repair

Post by exxos »

:bravo: Nothing wrong with a few bodge wires :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
atari030

Re: Keyboard repair

Post by atari030 »

Fantastic save, nicely done.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”