32MHz for STEs without CPU socket

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
troed

Re: 32MHz for STEs without CPU socket

Post by troed »

I like cutting traces :P An x-acto knife and patience is all you need. Only do it a little at a time ...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Try tieing BR, BG to 5V on the PCB, and see if that still works ok. Should only need BGACK..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

exxos wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am Try tieing BR, BG to 5V on the PCB, and see if that still works ok. Should only need BGACK..
Will do as soon as I can find some free time. I am quite busy at the moment...
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Finally had some spare time:

BR and BG tied to 5V on the booster and it still works stable, as far as I can tell. Did some runs with GB6, and everything was fine.

Did the same with RESET and again, everything seems to be stable.

So it seems, these signals aren't needed and can safely be bridged to VCC.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 pm BR and BG tied to 5V on the booster and it still works stable, as far as I can tell. Did some runs with GB6, and everything was fine.

Did the same with RESET and again, everything seems to be stable.

So it seems, these signals aren't needed and can safely be bridged to VCC.
:bravo:

I did test the same here a few days ago. I think one of those signals, BR isn't even coded into the GAL.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
tzok

Post by tzok »

For some reason I more like this STFM V1.5 booster in STE than a dedicated STE booster (despite I have the old STE board with a separate Blitter, and socketed CPU). I could afford one of Exxos' V1.5 booster boards, but I've got only a 16MHz HC CPU and a 90ns Flash ROM chips. Is there any sense in fitting a 16MHz booster to STE? Will it have a comparable performance to the Mega STE? How to get a 16MHz clock in STE? Make it from 32MHz in GAL? I know I could find it out myself, by studying schematic diagrams of STE and MSTE, but I don't like to break the doors that were already opened.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”