How my PC has changed.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How my PC has changed.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:25 pm Think my GPU is 1060 :) I updated from 560TI I think...both secondhand cards , Was power hungry like mad.. Didn't see any performance increases tho :( think a lot of the problems are single core games and AMD CPUs :(
As my XPS has 2 GPUs, an Intel one and the GTX, I can pick which card applications use. If I use something that pushes the GTX hard, the fans sure get busy!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Installing my GreasWeazle was pretty sore on the hands. Not much room for manoeuvre!

:comp: :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 am Installing my GreasWeazle was pretty sore on the hands. Not much room for manoeuvre!

You could have kept it external ;)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 am Installing my GreasWeazle was pretty sore on the hands. Not much room for manoeuvre!

You could have kept it external ;)
Ha, I know :lol:

I'm not really cross I just like that GIF lol I remember an advert where a guy is sat at a desk waiting for a progress bar and he goes mental at the computer. :lol:

Trying to make my computer a magic box.

It's so funny that my external floppy drive is slower than my Atari's drive. Not really a fair contest as it's USB with a 6 foot lead, but it made me laugh last night.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@Cosmic Puppet Well, if you want to show another area where the humble ST knocks Windoze for six, look at the boot time. ;)

My work PC (Xeon 4core, 8 logical processors @ 3.6GHz with SSD & 16G ram) takes much longer to get to the domain login screen than an ST does to get to the desktop even without a floppy in the drive.
Plus, most recent PC apps seem to be so bloated that they take longer to load from hard drive than the ST takes to load from floppy!

I once tried starting my home PC & loading Cubase compared to Notator on the ST...I think I'd recorded the first few phrases before Cubase was even loaded :lol:

I can't imagine how people keep their creative process in full flow with a PC-based DAW...unless it's left loaded & running pretty much all the time!
Mind you, I'm definitely in the old codger category :D
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am @Cosmic Puppet Well, if you want to show another area where the humble ST knocks Windoze for six, look at the boot time. ;)

My work PC (Xeon 4core, 8 logical processors @ 3.6GHz with SSD & 16G ram) takes much longer to get to the domain login screen than an ST does to get to the desktop even without a floppy in the drive.
Plus, most recent PC apps seem to be so bloated that they take longer to load from hard drive than the ST takes to load from floppy!

I once tried starting my home PC & loading Cubase compared to Notator on the ST...I think I'd recorded the first few phrases before Cubase was even loaded :lol:

I can't imagine how people keep their creative process in full flow with a PC-based DAW...unless it's left loaded & running pretty much all the time!
Mind you, I'm definitely in the old codger category :D
I just laughed out loud. I'm gonna do a side by side. My windows 10 is pretty fast because it doesn't technically shut down fully unless I press restart (forgot what that feature is called)

TOS 1.04 definitely blows it out the water :lol: My hard disk setup is a lot slower to start though.

I agree 100% I've been trying for nearly 2 years to set up a 4-track to make vocal ideas instant (that's how I used to work)

It's been serviced by 2 different people but currently the RTZ has died (parts have been ordered by the 4-track guy)

I'm not giving up! I'm just checking out more Atari stuff while I wait. Made a lot of progress on Kandinsky Music Painter last night whilst going through my translated manual. Translating German, I've had to deal with spelling mistakes on the original, bad grammar and muddled words/sentences.

I'm not getting any younger but I'm insistent on not using a DAW. That's the whole reason I have an Atari! :lol: I just took it a lot further with playing games, chiptunes and lots of different programs which I've had so much help with.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am @Cosmic Puppet Well, if you want to show another area where the humble ST knocks Windoze for six, look at the boot time. ;)

My work PC (Xeon 6 core, 12 logical cores, 32GB + 1TB SSD) starts quite quick considering all the necessary security stuff, but even with XBoot and hard drive spin up waits, my MSTE makes it look really slow to boot.

It's kind of a shame we went down the load OS from disk route because having a built in ROM OS really does make things fast. Imagine a PC with all those cores and RAM loading a lightweight OS from ROM, speed is not the word.

My MacBook Pro is fast to boot, but my MSTE still makes it look slow by comparison.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”