New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Bodge-tastic!!!

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, with a couple of more bodges the board is fully functional and I can get RGBI out via the 8 pin DIN socket using a ZX Spectrum+ 128K SCART cable (as long as I don't try to fit the case on the machine).

So, these are the bodges:
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2397.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Note the "professional" fitting of the DIN socket. Hehe.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by PhilC »

Its to assist in port ventilation :)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

PhilC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:17 pm Its to assist in port ventilation :)
Hehe.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Now I have the RGB out I can actually capture the screen.

Apricot-Activity-Desktop.jpg
Apricot-Activity-Desktop.jpg (183.71 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

And capture video... Here's GEM booting on the machine. A tad slower than an ST getting to the desktop. :lol:

Oh, and the MkII board has been designed and sent off to PCBWay for manufacture.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks like the Mk.II boards will be delivered today. I'll probably have to wait until the weekend before building one up.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

That is a truly funky looking GUI!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am That is a truly funky looking GUI!
It is, and without a mouse the pointer moves incrementally between items rather than moving as you would expect.

Anyway, the PCBs have arrived and finally PCBWay have dispatched the pre-built memory PCB after sitting completed for nearly two weeks. I had to prompt them to send it in the end.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am That is a truly funky looking GUI!
It is, and without a mouse the pointer moves incrementally between items rather than moving as you would expect.

Anyway, the PCBs have arrived and finally PCBWay have dispatched the pre-built memory PCB after sitting completed for nearly two weeks. I had to prompt them to send it in the end.
That kinda makes sense re the pointer.

Surprised you had to prompt them to send the PCBs, thought they were normally pretty good.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am Surprised you had to prompt them to send the PCBs, thought they were normally pretty good.
Yeah. I think I confused them by having 5 PCBs but only one having components fitted. I got an e-mail conversation asking if the first board was correct and if they could go ahead assembling the others, which I replied that I hadn't paid for the others to be built. The day after the status changed to "Ready for dispatch" and that's how it sat for nearly two weeks.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:47 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am Surprised you had to prompt them to send the PCBs, thought they were normally pretty good.
Yeah. I think I confused them by having 5 PCBs but only one having components fitted. I got an e-mail conversation asking if the first board was correct and if they could go ahead assembling the others, which I replied that I hadn't paid for the others to be built. The day after the status changed to "Ready for dispatch" and that's how it sat for nearly two weeks.
Well at least you have them now. Is the built one complete or is there more for you to do to it?

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”