New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, I've got the SRAM on the board. I think it's OK. There are definitely no shorts!

IMG_2391.jpg
IMG_2391.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

Unfortunately it doesn't work. The machine still reports 256K of RAM. From the look of things from the oscilloscope the right sort of things are happening, though some of the data pulses look a bit on the short side.

The next phase will be soldering on some headers onto the board so that I can connect the logic analyser. It's not OK if it's playing all the right note, just not necessarily in the right order, so paraphrase Eric Morecambe.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks like I have a few bits missing! Still, it does show that it is writing to some bits.

IMG_2393.jpg
IMG_2393.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 2020 times

I'm not sure about the spiky output on D1, D7 and D8 though.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I reflowed the solder using hot air and then tested...

It saw the RAM!

IMG_2394.jpg
IMG_2394.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Once.... It's now reporting 256K again. *sigh*
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, I can see the system doing the initial memory test but there are spurious 'bits' on some of the data lines.

IMG_2395.jpg
IMG_2395.jpg (250.14 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

D6 and D14 seem especially prone to these.

I've also seen both /BHE (Byte High Enable) and /BLE (Byte Low Enable) go high at the same time which, according to the documentation and truth table, shouldn't be able to happen. These are generated directly from signals being sent by the system.

I'm guessing though that the reason for the failure are these spikes. However, this could be an addressing problem or noise but there's no way I can tell. the pin pitch on the SRAM is too small for any of my probes.

I could potentially test this with a RAM test program which wrote the address into memory from the bottom to the top and then re-read it to see if anything had been overwritten. I could write this IF I had either the complete knowledge of x86 real mode assembler and how to send characters to the screen or a compiler which could handle far pointers, neither of which I have access to.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmm. I may need stronger pull-ups on the data lines. There are a lot of very short spikes to 0V on the main system data bus which the 74LS245s are passing through but the data lines are taking too long to get back to 5V, so it may be writing spurious bits to memory. The memory could be reacting too fast!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Looking awesome sir, though I did spot the blue bodge wire :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah. You can blame Atmel for that one. Their GAL programmer doesn't allow pin 19 to be active high, so I had to switch to pin 15.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Looking like some good progress to me @stephen_usher
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Can you bodge in one of the delay ic parts give your self a 40ns delay

Tom
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmm.. Changed the pull-ups and no difference.

I've managed to write a program which writes and then reads from memory and that seems to work. Of course this is reading and writing whole words.

I can see on the oscilloscope data being written and read. I don't know what may be causing the glitches when it's doing the memory test.

The address line output looks crisp so I doubt that it's a delay there.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”