New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm thoroughly confused now.

The real floppy is definitely behaving as if it's using /READY, so that's fine. However, it's not always being detected so it must be some other signal.

The only reliable way of making sure that it's not seen is if the Gotek is powered up without a USB drive in the slot, then the system will always only see the Gotek and not the floppy. (Though after not detecting it the system selects drive 1 and holds the line at that level until a virtual disk is loaded into the Gotek.)

Nine out of ten times if I don't have a virtual floppy (i.e. ejected) mounted in the Gotek then again it will only see one drive.

However, if I have a virtual floppy in mounted in the Gotek and the Gotek was powered on with a USB stick in the drive and mount at boot is turned on then about 8 out of 10 times the second drive will be detected. Unless something on the floppy drive/Gotek side goes screwy and it only sees one drive until I power cycle everything and leave it off for about 30 seconds.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

And now I can't get it to pick up the second drive at all.

I wonder if it's a timing issue in the boot ROM and the floppy drive isn't responding quickly enough to whatever it's looking for, or maybe it's expecting a Track-0 signal straight away as the built-in drive automatically seeks to track zero on power-up.

If it's the latter then I'm stuffed, unless I make the real floppy drive A: as the disk controller does a seek test automatically.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I think that I've confirmed that it's a "/TRACK0" issue that's stopping the second drive from being detected by the BIOS.

Booted and the second drive wasn't detected. I power cycled multiple times and it was always the same.

I manually pushed the heads back to track zero and then powered up the system and the second drive was detected.

P.S. I'm wondering how I'm going to fix this. Maybe I could pull the drive select 1 line low whilst the FDC does its seek test until track zero goes low directly after power up. If I'm not using the Motor On and Select Drive 0 then I can use those two pins.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

You know, I should really read the documentation... From the "Apricot F1 Technical Reference Manual"...
d-oh.jpg
d-oh.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
This, of course, means that I'm going to have to somehow throw a whole load of STEP pulses at drive 1 as soon as the power is turned on.

I've a spare pin on connector I added on both the daughter board and floppy cable adapter and the socket for the ATTiny85 has an output which can control STEP so probably only one bodge wire on each board will be necessary, This assumes that the step direction line stays high so as to step outwards.

The alternative is that I pull Drive select 1 down whilst the FDC does its seek test (so that both drive seek, not only drive 0) and then release it as soon as "track zero" is signalled, letting the FDC do the heavy lifting.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I think the quick fix will be to hold the drive select 1 line low for 10 seconds after power on. The FDC controller will do its seek test and bring both drives to track zero. It won't harm if there's no second drive as there will be nothing to force "TRACK00" low and so it won't accidentally find two drives when there is only one. After the 10 seconds is up I can change the output pin on the ATTiny85 to tristate so that it won't affect the system subsequently or change it to being an input pin.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

For the time being I have a bit of a hack...
Run GWBASIC with the following program and change the system variable for the number of floppies and warm reset.

Code: Select all

10 DEF SEG=0
20 POKE &H0416,2
30 SYSTEM
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I don't s'pose anyone has knowledge of 8086 real mode assembly?

The only free 16-bit x86 C compilers for Linux I can see don't have "far" pointer capability without diving into x86 assembler, which I don't know.

I'm thinking of a small program I can run from AUTOEXEC.BAT in lieu of a hardware solution.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Seems like you're getting a good handle on this now, good job sir.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:38 am I don't s'pose anyone has knowledge of 8086 real mode assembly?

The only free 16-bit x86 C compilers for Linux I can see don't have "far" pointer capability without diving into x86 assembler, which I don't know.

I'm thinking of a small program I can run from AUTOEXEC.BAT in lieu of a hardware solution.
I'm very rusty, but will try to help if no one better suited can! :lol:

By far pointer capability, do you mean 32 bit vs 16 bit pointer address offset sizing?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

16 bit real mode segment+offset addressing.

I need to change the byte at segment 0x0000, offset 0x0416 to having the value 2 essentially.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”