New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, I was surprised that the flyback transformer unit and the capacitor unit are actually separate too. They're usually in a single plastic can.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, the monitor stopped working again, so I took the PCB out and had a look at the socket pins...

IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2366.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Erm, every one of them had cracked/broken!

Resoldered, after getting rid of the manky solder and soaked the board in IPA as the solder side was absolutely full of old flux.

Anyway, I've put it back together and it's not working. It sounds as if it's building up a charge and then discharging. It's quite possibly residual IPA so I'm going to leave it for a while.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:shock: If you have a higher resolution shot, maybe you could post this in the electronics area as a example of dry joints :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually, the sound was a red herring, sort off.

The HT coil was powering up and discharging BUT it wasn't a fault with the monitor...

I was using the new power supply I'd bought which is rated at 18V DC, 1.32A. The monitor draws between 1.08 and 1.2 amps, steady state.

However, when starting up it *very* briefly draws a lot more and the new PSU just can't cope. The voltage collapses to effectively zero and then reenergises up to about 9V before collapsing again.

Powering the monitor using the bench power supply works perfectly.

I'm guessing that I may need a 3A PSU just to cope with the start-up current.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@stephen_usher does your bench psu allow you to throttle total current? That might help with determining load or using a clamp meter perhaps but you might miss the blip of the peak load.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yes it does. I've currently got it at 1.3A, but the voltage only drops a couple of volts at start-up and then recovers within less than a second.

Anyway, with the bench PSU...

IMG_2367.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

exxos wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:14 pm :shock: If you have a higher resolution shot, maybe you could post this in the electronics area as a example of dry joints :)
That's the full resolution I'm afraid The iPhone was on 2x magnification mode and as close as i could get so that it could focus.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I increased the maximum current to 5A and turned on the over current protection... The PSU cut out.

So there must be a very brief surge current. I'm guessing that adding in a large inductor could help with this as it would dampen the surge.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The new PCBs are out for delivery! *Yay!*

I'm not in work today and they're being delivered there. *Boo!*
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:52 am The new PCBs are out for delivery! *Yay!*

I'm not in work today and they're being delivered there. *Boo!*
Don't you just hate it when that happens!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”