New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by stephen_usher »

It was the power connector!

I'd had the machine running for a few minutes and decided to check the chip temperatures, but to do this I have to remove the power supply. As I pulled the connector I noticed that the +5V wire was getting warm.

Some Electrolube contact cleaner and a few replugging cycles and...
IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2281.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, there seems to be a PSU problem. It seems to not be outputting +12V and the +5V is 4.37V. I’m surprised the system even works at all.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

This morning, without touching anything, I turned the machine on and the CPU isn’t running, but I do have +5V up at close to 5V and +12V!

The CPU is getting warm and it’s getting at least one clock. Practically all the other pins are floating. I’ll have to print out the pinout.

I wonder what could have died after just sitting over night.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've a sneaking suspicion that it's probably the PSU. I'll get the bench power supply down from the loft later and see if that makes any difference.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. No difference.

The machine's pulling 2 amps, which seems more than it should. I think that the next step is to get a whole load of axial capacitors and replace them all.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

So, it seems that the CPU is trying to do the first instruction fetch. The ROMs seem to be enabled and outputing bits and the address buffers are passing them through but the CPU isn't doing anything and just sitting there.

I s'pose it could be a bad ROM (though I've read both in the TL866 OK) or bad sockets on either the ROMs or the CPU.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's not the ROMs. The data read from them runs in an emulator and writing the data to 28C256 EEPROMs in the high half gives that same symptoms.

At this point I'm not sure where to go. I could look for another CPU on-line but I can't guarantee that it will not be fake or faulty. I could replace one by one every 74LSxxx chip on the board which interfaces directly with the CPU. As I know that the memory sub-system works, as does the video sub-system.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Discovered the remains of a label, obviously from a repair shop, with CPU written upon it and also possibly "BAD" too. So maybe it was a fluke that it ran last night. I've ordered a "new" 8086 from Cricklewood Electronics, so we'll see if that is the issue.

In the meantime I've been glueing the case together. There's only one significant part of the case missing so it should actually be usable.

Initially I'm using liquid plastic adhesive which melts the plastic to give the bond. In places I'm going to have to supplement this with epoxy resin, though I have to be careful not to get any areas where the motherboard slides into.

IMG_2283.jpg
IMG_2283.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
IMG_2282.jpg
IMG_2282.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Very cool find I wonder if a nec v30 cpu would work in it

Tom
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Tomswork wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 pm Very cool find I wonder if a nec v30 cpu would work in it

Tom
Was that a full 8086 compatible then?

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”