New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Tomswork

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by Tomswork »

Yes and about 10 percent faster nec made the v20 8088
And the v30 8086 they made dos move fast

Tom
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmm... I'm not sure how this would interact with the video sub-system on the Apricot as it is more akin to the way that the ST operates than an IBM PC with the video sub-system sharing main memory. There's quite a bit of CPU interlock with drawing to the screen memory.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Interesting I have used the v20 in atari pc1 successfully and I'm still looking for a pc1 because I sold the last one

Tom
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, you see the Apricot may run a version of MSDOS (modified to fit the different system) and have an Intel 16 bit CPU but it's most definitely not a PC compatible. It's a very different architecture.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Seeing that I don't have any electronic parts to fix the motherboard I've focused upon the case and floppy drive.

Lots of epoxying later and the number of case parts has reduced markedly and it's in a state where it can be put back together in a reasonable manner.

The floppy itself has had the upper head re-glued with tiny drops of epoxy resin where the double sided tape used originally was. Both heads have been cleaned and they look fine. The disc transport and eject mechanism worked fine but I re-greased that, along with the worm gear which moved the heads. I had to clean quite a bit of gunk off that.

So, after all of this the drive looks half decent again.

IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2286.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

I can't do any more testing on it but previously it has moved the heads back and forward during the system POST so I'm at least half confident that it may work.

Just to remind you, this is what the drive looked like initially.

IMG_2245.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

Finally this evening, after the epoxy had fully set I did a test rebuild of the machine to make sure that the case still went together.

IMG_2287.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg (53.54 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

This is after quite a bit of cleaning with both soap and water and IPA, though it'll need more IPA to get rid of the marker pen on the top. It's definitely going to need a spray after I've built a replacement for the missing bit of case on the front. (Oh, and you may have noticed that I forgot to fit the floppy eject button, which I do have.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Looking so much better than before.

And broken computers do make some odd but interesting crash screens :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

PhilC wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:29 pm Looking so much better than before.

And broken computers do make some odd but interesting crash screens :D
Technically it's not even a crash screen as the processor hasn't actually got around to running any instructions. :-)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The replacement CPU arrived today. I swapped them over and no change. So the next thing to do is replace the CPU, ROM and bus arbitration EPROM sockets so as to rule them out.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm The replacement CPU arrived today. I swapped them over and no change. So the next thing to do is replace the CPU, ROM and bus arbitration EPROM sockets so as to rule them out.
Kinda know how you feel, I've swapped out the system 6522 and CPU in my Beeb and no change, swapped out the ROM sockets, and started on swapping out the sockets for those two. Still nada, at least you have a crash screen :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah. At least I know that the video sub-system and memory are OK.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”