8BitDo Controller and Genesis bluetooth adaptor hack for the ST

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

8BitDo Controller and Genesis bluetooth adaptor hack for the ST

Post by Icky »

Today's hack has been going round my mind for quite a while since I got hold of a free 8BitDo controller around 2 years ago. I know they have been doing bluetooth dongles for most of the major consoles like the Nintendo and Sega and I have been thinking it would be good to have a dongle for the Atari ST to use my 8BitDo. The other day realising that the Sega Genesis controller uses the DB9 connector and that the 8BitDo Genesis dongle was available I thought I would take the plunge and get the dongle knowing it would probably need some hacking.

IMG_0083.jpeg
IMG_0083.jpeg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Well there wasn't much to it. First to power the dongle the Genesis puts VCC (+5V) out on PIN 5 where as the ST puts VCC out on PIN 7. Thus the hack had to be around those two pins as PIN 7 on the Genesis is a SELECT line that uses a multiplex.

Simply put, I needed to unsolder and lift the PIN 5 & 7 from the PCB and bend them up. Take the PIN 7 from the DB9 (ST 5V) and wire it to the PCB PIN 5 (Dongle 5V). No other hack was needed as the floating PCB PIN 7 the select line is pulled-high and sets the dongle into thinking its got a 3 button Genesis controller thus working on the ST as an Atari. Lastly added some insulating tape between the PCB and PINs that were lifted.

IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg (122.6 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

The dongle looks elegant plugged into the keyboard but its just a little too long to sit in the case joystick / mouse port area. Either using it without the case or filing down 2-3mm on the corner where the 8 of the 8BitDo logo is in the picture below allows it to fit.

EDIT: look at later post where the dongle was not seated properly it does fit in the mouse / joystick area neatly.

IMG_0082.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg (224.44 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Well to test it all out I have been playing Magic Pockets most of the afternoon. :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 8BitDo Controller and Genesis bluetooth adaptor hack for the ST

Post by exxos »

Interesting :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:49 pmInteresting :)
Yep, and this dongle is not constrained to 8BitDo controllers they also work with PS4, PS3, Xbox Bluetooth, Switch Pro, Wii U Pro, Wiimote, Joy-Cons controllers. List taken from 8BitDo Genesis dongle info - https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-g ... ega-drive/
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I just noticed looking at the picture the dongle wasn't seated in the DB9 socket properly there was about 2-3 mm sticking out. Pushing it in fully it seems the dongles fits in the mouse / joystick area but its a tight fit.

IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg (176.37 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”