Ok, so maybe I did buy myself an Old PC

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ok, so maybe I did buy myself an Old PC

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:42 am Thanks @rubber_jonnie , this is a 7221, so it'd have been $3995 new then. :shock:
Apparently about $9,300 in todays money!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Had a bit of success with this this evening.

I linked a gotek up to the PC and managed to get it to boot but only if I used a 1.2mb 5.25 image file, anything else won't boot.

So slight problem is that the gotek image file I need to run is on a 360k disk but this won't boot on my Sharp.

I've somehow got to copy the files from the 360k image onto the 1.2mb image. I'm struggling to find an app on the Mac that will let me view and edit an image, so I'll likely have to boot up the windows laptop and work out a way to do it with that. Either that or find a 5.25" usb floppy drive :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
derkom

Post by derkom »

PhilC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:01 pm I'm struggling to find an app on the Mac that will let me view and edit an image, so I'll likely have to boot up the windows laptop and work out a way to do it with that. Either that or find a 5.25" usb floppy drive :lol:
Try using the HxC Floppy Emulator software (make sure you get a very recent version if using recent MacOS). It can do basic file manipulation on various format DOS floppy images, and might fill your need, even if you're not using the HxC device.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@derkom thanks for the suggestion, I've never used the HxC stuff but maybe it's time to give it a try.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Had a bit of time on my hands whilst away with work and got my little 9.5kg Sharp luggable computer up and running.

20210508_154118.jpg
20210508_154118.jpg (184.29 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

What through me off a bit was that it was the actual floppy that had died, so I couldn't get any of the diagnostic disks to work.

As @derkom had suggested I popped a gotek in instead and now it all works, well except the floppy drive. The drive is a special that I'll likely struggle to get, so I'm going to take it out and mount a gotek in its place, hopefully with nice colour matching 3d printed adaptor plate.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”