General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

I do dislike eBay sellers who break up machines and then sell the parts for LoadsAMoney(tm).

Case in point is the bloke I bought the Apricot monitor from. I see where he got it (and the other he was selling) now. The pictures were showing the BIOS screen for a fully working F2...

He's selling two motherboards for what he says is an Apricot F10, not working... That's because he's extracted the ROMs and selling those separately. Actually, the motherboards are for F2s, and he's selling the cases separately, as he is the power supplies. I've not seen him selling the floppy drives yet.

The total is probably four or five times the price of a complete and working machine.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well I totally understand you, but just to play some devils advocate - these are big and heavy machines & are generally difficult to sell for local pickup. They don't have much of a hobbyist community (if any) and for those reasons I don't think it's too bad (certainly beats him scrapping it all)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually, they're dimensionally smaller than an ST and weigh about the same.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I was trying to diagnose why my Win98 PC needed to be reset after the initial power up before it would boot properly today.

I think I found the culprit on the graphics card...

IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 5637 times

A bit bulgy!

Anyway, this afternoon I tried to change the caps.

The Hakko FR-301 desoldering gun (110W power) had a hard time melting the solder but I eventually got the caps off, but clearing the holes was another bit of fun entirely as the ground planes just acted like heat sinks. My normal ANTEX soldering iron wouldn't even melt the surface of the solder, let alone the stuff down the hole to wick it out. My soldering station iron just about managed it with the temperature turned up to 350C! I still had to use a pin drill to open the holes up enough for the legs of the new caps to go through. Then it was "fun" soldering the new caps in as I had to keep the iron at 350C and even then it took about 10 seconds to get the joint up to the solder melting temperature.

I've not tested the card yet as I put a different one in the machine but it looks OK. Phew!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Oh the condensers blown its hat off :lol:

I use 450c iron for stuff and that struggles. I have a hot air station set to 500c to give things a boost. Or a hot bed can help a lot as well.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

I have the heat problem with alot of pc board and use the iron and hot air to get the parts off

Tom
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I was going to add that for that sort of stuff I do preheat with hot air and then have my desolder gun set for 450C.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I was working at home today and there was at least some sunshine so i made the most of it and retrobrighted my Panasonic KX-P1081 printer.

IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1689.jpg (327.81 KiB) Viewed 5408 times

The front cover over bleached slightly and was a bit mottled, even though it was outside for far less than a quarter of the time of the main cover, knob and switch sliders. It's obviously a different plastic formulation as it hasn't oranged as much as the other plastics.

Anyway, it's a looking a lot better now. This is the "before" picture (taken a couple of years ago).

IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The static RAM for my Apricot RAM board project arrived form Mouser today and I was surprised by the packaging...

IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG (236.3 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

Has anyone else seen this sort of warning before?

Surely if it's that sensitive to moisture it's not going to last long in service, especially in some parts of the UK.

(The chips are CY62167GE-45ZXI, 16Mb, 1MBx16 asynchronous static RAM, 5.5V compatible.)
derkom

Post by derkom »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:08 am Has anyone else seen this sort of warning before?

Surely if it's that sensitive to moisture it's not going to last long in service, especially in some parts of the UK.
Yeah, my CPLDs for the TF536s came with the same warning label, from Mouser.

Notice that the label just says that the warning sensitivity applies prior to reflow soldering, not actual service of the component.

I don't know why these things are moisture sensitive. Perhaps someone else can explain. In my case, I soldered on one of the CPLDs (by hand, though, not reflow) a couple of months after opening the package and it was fine.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”