General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm not sure at the moment. The planning officer seemed to think that the building had a partly flat roof, which is doesn't. The other objection they had was that they thought that because the floor area was close to that of the main house it could potentially be used as habitation. They didn't even check to see if there was going to be water or drainage.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am I'm not sure at the moment. The planning officer seemed to think that the building had a partly flat roof, which is doesn't. The other objection they had was that they thought that because the floor area was close to that of the main house it could potentially be used as habitation. They didn't even check to see if there was going to be water or drainage.
Ahh, what a complete and utter pain. Must be so annoying to have got this far into the process just to have them say no.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, about a quarter of a year wasted.

I wish that the "architect" had put this in for full planning permission rather than the cheaper fast-track "permitted development" one. At least that would have required a proper engineering level plan and the council would have seen that the only services to the building would be power and data. It would also not have had as many restrictions.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm Yeah, about a quarter of a year wasted.

I wish that the "architect" had put this in for full planning permission rather than the cheaper fast-track "permitted development" one. At least that would have required a proper engineering level plan and the council would have seen that the only services to the building would be power and data. It would also not have had as many restrictions.
It all sounds like a really painful process. You must be gnashing your teeth right now.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm Yeah, about a quarter of a year wasted.

In general permitted development doesn't require any application at all -- just notification so they can carry out an inspection after the event. Is there some local variation in force or are you in a conservation area, etc?

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Apparently you still need a permit. I'm just going by what the "architect" informed me.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Feeling a little fed up today and so although I can't actually work on the Apricot machines at the moment due to the up coming (now virtual) Lavecon and hence the Apricots being in storage I can at least do something useful and that's make a little floppy interface converter PCB and ask PCBway to make it for me.

Apricot-Floppy-Converter.jpg
Apricot-Floppy-Converter.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 6237 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Last week in a skip outside work I noticed an Iomega Zip250 box and looking inside was indeed a drive, so I saved it from being landfilled.

Everything except the connector cable was there, though the PSU was the USA model.

Anyway, this evening I made up a DB25-DB25 cable, plugged in a 5V supply, connected it to the TT and switched on...

IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2355.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 6052 times

It works perfectly! Result!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:22 pm Last week in a skip outside work I noticed an Iomega Zip250 box and looking inside was indeed a drive, so I saved it from being landfilled.

Everything except the connector cable was there, though the PSU was the USA model.

Anyway, this evening I made up a DB25-DB25 cable, plugged in a 5V supply, connected it to the TT and switched on...

It works perfectly! Result!
Dang it, how come I never find anything like this? :roll:
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, it helps that I work in a University and academics often horde old stuff and then just leave it behind when they retire, move on etc. The stuff just sits in labs until departments need the space and chuck everything in a skip.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”