Oops, my obsession with computers from my childhood strikes again!

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: Oops, my obsession with computers from my childhood strikes again!

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:21 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:11 pm Hehehe. How on Earth did that happen?!
It just did ok! I'm sure it was an accident.....
My wife no longer believes that disk drives and retro computers just suddenly appear :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:21 pm

It just did ok! I'm sure it was an accident.....
My wife no longer believes that disk drives and retro computers just suddenly appear :lol:
I can understand that. Mine just mostly rolls her eyes now and lets me get on with as long as I don't go too mad.

I think the only things I need to get now are an Erebus and RGB cable for the Oric Atmos, after that I should be good for a while and it's back to sorting out the spare room which is mostly filled with boxes of my stuff. Oops

Oh, and I'm off to my parents where there is an ST waiting for me :) I was due to collect it last year, I sent it via them so it would spend less time with a courier than if it came to me. Then lockdown happened so it's been with them over a year!!

Fingers crossed no more lockdowns for a bit.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm
Oh, and I'm off to my parents where there is an ST waiting for me :) I was due to collect it last year, I sent it via them so it would spend less time with a courier than if it came to me. Then lockdown happened so it's been with them over a year!!
I use that method too when I don't want the wife to see yet another computer arrive :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:51 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm
I use that method too when I don't want the wife to see yet another computer arrive :lol:
It's tried and trusted :)

:girldance:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

I can't have a go at @rubber_jonnie since there's another ST heading to me via work...like RJ, I am at a loss to explain how this happened... :shrug:

With it being delivered to work, it can go in the boot of the car and then into the garage...then be brought into the house a few months later as the next one to be repaired. If asked, I can then truthfully say it's been in the garage for ages.
(As the same excuse is used against me for a new pair of shoes, it may not be believed...but it also can't really be questioned) :lol: :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:26 pm I can't have a go at @rubber_jonnie since there's another ST heading to me via work...like RJ, I am at a loss to explain how this happened... :shrug:

With it being delivered to work, it can go in the boot of the car and then into the garage...then be brought into the house a few months later as the next one to be repaired. If asked, I can then truthfully say it's been in the garage for ages.
(As the same excuse is used against me for a new pair of shoes, it may not be believed...but it also can't really be questioned) :lol: :roll:
I know right, how do these things happen? It's just crazy, but we have to accept it and move on before it all gets out of hand. :shrug:
JezC

Post by JezC »

And just to be totally clear, we are _NOT_ in denial about any of this! :? :roll:

We may be addicted to the retro vibe...but it's much less harmful to most things (other than our bank balances!) than the majority of other addictions. That's my perspective on this & I'm not expecting to change it anytime soon! ;)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm And just to be totally clear, we are _NOT_ in denial about any of this! :? :roll:

We may be addicted to the retro vibe...but it's much less harmful to most things (other than our bank balances!) than the majority of other addictions. That's my perspective on this & I'm not expecting to change it anytime soon! ;)
100% with you there, quite correct!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Dammit!!

The drive belts I ordered for the Seltron Apple II floppy drive arrived yesterday and I was very excited!!

Until I realised they were too wide at 4mm. Length is good though. Might have to try cutting one down to size.

Bah Humbug
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PhilC

Just arrived :)

IMG_20210916_110319.jpg
IMG_20210916_110319.jpg (214.4 KiB) Viewed 1455 times

Did you ever get to the bottom of the 'extras' on yours?

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”