Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:56 pm
Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm Same with Apple I'm afraid. Remember when Apple changed from PPC CPU's to Intel? You think they'd support the last PPC Mac with at least a couple of OS updates surely especially since it cost you 3 grand, no... The very next OS Snow Leopard supported absolutely zero PPC, discontinued the entire product line and support.
It's worse than that, the first generation Intel Macs had Core Duo processors (32 bit) and they dropped 32 bit kernel support in Lion, only 5 years after the machines were released and four years after the last direct sale.
Agreed, I'd forgotten that one, that was actually a pretty poor move on their part.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm Same with Apple I'm afraid. Remember when Apple changed from PPC CPU's to Intel? You think they'd support the last PPC Mac with at least a couple of OS updates surely especially since it cost you 3 grand, no... The very next OS Snow Leopard supported absolutely zero PPC, discontinued the entire product line and support.

Microsoft is ironically has a much much much better track record than Apple... So I dare say you are swapping a devil for another devil. Your brand new M1 will be obsoleted in about one year.
I would beg to differ on all most all your statements. The M1 will not be obsolete next year. Its performance will make it a popular machine for years to come. Yes there will be more powerful machines but the M1 challenges most intel chips and has beyond great battery life.

Apple's not perfect but they don't force updates on ya, they provide updates while the machine has the capability to run the new software but allows individuals to remain where they are. Windoze forces updates on people which break their machines, delete their files and have loads of advertizements included in the OS. Also if you have an issue you can call apple and get assistance. Try calling MS... lots of luck there. Microsoft products are Swiss cheese for exploits.. You should check the security now pod cast to see all the stuff MS is ignoring with their mail servers and mail programs. If you using outlook you could just post you email on a public forum and be as secure. It baffles my mind why people support windows and bash apple. At least Apple supports their legacy hardware if its capable of running the newer software.. MS is failing to support a lot of the newer hardware in the belief people will buy new machines so they can have rounded corners on their windows.

So in concluding Apple is not perfect,, not even close. I'll never go in a Apple store again where I need a reservation to buy something but beyond that their products and supported and top notch compared to anything Microsoft.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I do not know much about Apple, but I thought their new operating system updates would not run on older hardware ? half recall people complaining about this not long ago.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:17 pm I do not know much about Apple, but I thought their new operating system updates would not run on older hardware ? half recall people complaining about this not long ago.
The latest Apple OS is Monterey, and it will run on some Macs as far back as 2013, so either Intel based or M1 based. How long they will keep Intel Macs supported is anybody's guess, but on the current evidence it may be for some time.

I'll be getting an M1 MBP (M1X or M2 if that's what they announce next) anyway, so I know I'll have quite a long amount of support.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:17 pm I do not know much about Apple, but I thought their new operating system updates would not run on older hardware ? half recall people complaining about this not long ago.
Big Sur is their latest released OS.. which is free as all their OS upgrades. I believe Monterey is still in beta. Here is a list of minimum hardware needed to run it. How old are the machines Windoze 11 will support? Also its up to the user to decide if they want to upgrade. Sometimes the newer OS will kill old hardware.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 11.22.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 11.22.19 AM.png (46.69 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 pm
Big Sur is their latest released OS.. which is free as all their OS upgrades. I believe Monterey is still in beta. Here is a list of minimum hardware needed to run it. How old are the machines Windoze 11 will support? Also its up to the user to decide if they want to upgrade. Sometimes the newer OS will kill old hardware.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 11.22.19 AM.png
I think the list for Monterey and Big Sur are almost identical actually. This is what I class as long term support and I don't think MS can touch this.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@rubber_jonnie , one really nice feature Apple is providing with IOS 15 is "Hide my Email". Hide my Email allows you to create proxy email addresses that apple converts to your real email addresses. If you want to access a site but don't want them to have your real email address you create the proxy email address that comes through your real email. Then at any time you can delete the proxy address leaving them with no idea what your real address is. Also since its a email address you made for one site if you get email from other entities using that email you know the original site is providing it to others.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 pm @rubber_jonnie , one really nice feature Apple is providing with IOS 15 is "Hide my Email". Hide my Email allows you to create proxy email addresses that apple converts to your real email addresses. If you want to access a site but don't want them to have your real email address you create the proxy email address that comes through your real email. Then at any time you can delete the proxy address leaving them with no idea what your real address is. Also since its a email address you made for one site if you get email from other entities using that email you know the original site is providing it to others.
Hmm, interesting :)
mgi

Post by mgi »

I'll be getting an M1 MBP (M1X or M2 if that's what they announce next) anyway, so I know I'll have quite a long amount of support.
I am using MacBook Air with M1 and you will not be disappointed. Great with Hatari and HRDB :)
If you want to run Win on VM you need a dedicated ARM version of Win image which is available FOC from Microsoft Insider programme.

Cheers
Michal
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mgi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:51 pm
I am using MacBook Air with M1 and you will not be disappointed. Great with Hatari and HRDB :)
If you want to run Win on VM you need a dedicated ARM version of Win image which is available FOC from Microsoft Insider programme.

Cheers
Michal
Cheers :)

Just waiting on the next Apple announcement, hoping for an MBP M1x with 14" screen. I'm not bothered about running Win TBH, as a lot of the stuff I want to use will either run natively or under Rosetta 2, so I doubt I'll need any Windows apps.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”