Working Atari ST Wall Art

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working Atari ST Wall Art

Post by Icky »

As with most of us we have so many projects on the go and I have been toying with the idea of having a permanent display of an original Atari 520 STM on my wall. Just to add to the never ending projects around Ataris. I had posted the motherboard earlier in the motherboard section https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=41&t=504

Firstly I just had the motherboard hanging on the wall but this was inert and the more I stared at this whilst working at my desk it grew on me to see how I can preserve all of this and explode it out onto the wall and have it working. This was the first time I actually powered up the motherboard since I got my hands on it and that was a nervous - will it / won't it moment. I started to think about how I can go about this and any thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

IMG_2782.JPG
IMG_2782.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2592 times

My current thoughts are to some how get the rest of the items on the wall deconstructed. Such as the case and power brick (This will have to be enclosed of course). My main goal is I want to be able to use this as a simple normal Atari ST gaming machine. I have been toying with ideas for what to do with the keyboard and mouse and I think I have a few options:
  1. Have the case on the desk (which would take up room) with the keyboard in it using a cable to the hanging board and also extend the mouse / joystick ports down to the case.
  2. Have the case on the desk (which would take up room) with the keyboard in it using some sort of wireless setup to the hanging board and also extend the mouse / joystick ports.
  3. Have the case and original keyboard on wall as art and have a wireless USB keyboard using wireless and a small circuit to convert to the Atari ST's keyboard matrix (I have done this in the past with an Arduino - thats another blog). Plus do something similar with the mouse.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”