PSU bracket remake ?

All information relating to the Alpha plus all the WIP threads etc.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PSU bracket remake ?

Post by exxos »

sandord wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 am I just realised that if we want to keep the bracket compatible with existing PSUs, we'll need to find a way to connect the ground wire to the shielding since our bracket will not be made of metal like the original.
Ahh good point. Well the wire will likely have to go on one of the bolts which goes into the motherboard... or some location on the shielding.. I guess in terms of the STE, it has a metal sheet anyway, so probably wouldn't be a problem for those machines.

STF machines, I think most leave off the PSU cover now, so the wire going to the main metal shielding would be simple enough. Basically people would have to extend the wire.. but in terms of original PSU, I don't think many would go for a new plastic over a original PSU anyway. So I would really say, don't worry about it, and just leave off the plastic part where the wire normally bolts into.

In terms of my new PSU builds, there will be new sockets and switches anyway, so extending the wire isn't a problem.. Will just have to figure that out when its physically installed, and just find the best place to bolt the wire to the metal shielding somewhere.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
sandord

Post by sandord »

Progress is slow but modeling just takes a lot of time :P

So here's an update, more work needs to be done but at least it's going somewhere.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (81.04 KiB) Viewed 4971 times

I'm trying to progress carefully, not making huge changes because I believe a good design can only grow with little steps.

A little explanation:

- A = new leg, thicker shape but carefully staying out of the way of anything underneath the bracket. There are embedded metal rings to protect against wear.
- B = new PCB raisers, again with rings (M3 nut spacing not incorporated yet)
- C = old legs, need replacing
- D = rear section, I've removed the ground part, thickened the mains connector supports
- E = removed most of the surface and increased the height of the remaining bars with a few mm., making it come closer to the PCB

The new leg has a hole underneath which is an exact fit for an M3 nut.

Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (24.06 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
sandord

Post by sandord »

The main question I currently have is this: are the mains connector and the power switch for the new PSUs exactly the same size as the old ones? If so, I could design the rear part to nicely fit around them, becoming more like a block.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

I have a couple Exxos PSUs and a Centrurion Technologies PSU. They both need the original PSU bracket to fit them as well as an original power connector and switch so these usually come from an old PSU and hence should be the same sizes.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

sandord wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 am The main question I currently have is this: are the mains connector and the power switch for the new PSUs exactly the same size as the old ones? If so, I could design the rear part to nicely fit around them, becoming more like a block.

Connectors and power switch can be swapped easily.. I did one just last week. I think as long as maybe 1mm clearance around the connector to cope with tolerances on the plastics then shouldn't be a problem.

I was thinking about the legs (like "A" on your image above) If that was a seperate part, then just make a small recess in the base plate so it will "fit" into it and not move.. once the bolt goes though it all, its not going to move anywhere.. the bolt will hold it all together.. and the recestt will stop it moving as well.

That way the whole thing can be printed in one go I think (other than the legs).
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Looking good to me.

What CAD program you using?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
sandord

Post by sandord »

exxos wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 am was thinking about the legs (like "A" on your image above) If that was a seperate part, then just make a small recess in the base plate so it will "fit" into it and not move.. once the bolt goes though it all, its not going to move anywhere.. the bolt will hold it all together.. and the recestt will stop it moving as well.

That way the whole thing can be printed in one go I think (other than the legs).
Exactly, I've taken some time to let your suggestion mature in my mind and here's my first iteration:
1.png
1.png (17.58 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
2.png
2.png (84.55 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
3.png
3.png (66.78 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

That is totally awesome! :bravo:
sandord

Post by sandord »

I printed a leg and a small part of the bracket to try out whether this works.

1.jpg
1.jpg (102.71 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (132.96 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (240.87 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (192.86 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 4937 times

Well, I'm quite pleased so far.
sandord

Post by sandord »

The model feels strong enough to say that we won't need to increase material thickness.

Return to “ALPHA DEVELOPMENT INFO”