PCB Build - Progress - Post your Pics here :-)

All information relating to the Alpha plus all the WIP threads etc.
PhilC

PCB Build - Progress - Post your Pics here :-)

Post by PhilC »

Hi All,

So today I've started building the STF Remake PCB. I've started by soldering in the sockets that I already had at home. I don't know why but I always seem to start my PCB's by soldering in the sockets first and then on to the smaller components.

Thoughts so far, the board is easy to solder, nice big solder pads so far. Although I have spotted an area where extra care is needed. Some of the vias around U60 are very close to the socket pads, so don't go too mad with the solder.

Not sure how much more I'll get done this week as I'm off up to Dundee for a few days for work.

Please post your pics of your progress here. It'll be good to see how you're all getting on whilst I'm away :-)

Here's mine, chips inserted just for the hell of it :D
STFRM010918.jpg
STFRM010918.jpg (988.32 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PCB Build - Progress - Post your Pics here :-)

Post by Icky »

:coolpics:

I spent my day doing the opposite, de-soldering a donor ST for some of the components.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Nice ! Yeah be careful of those close vias to pads. I did put a lot of space between those things, but doesn't look like it followed my rules :? They were ultra close around the ram area, but after the DRC was set, they seemed to move away.. But no idea why it made pads close to vias in other areas.. Really hate auto routers!

Looking well nice in any case!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well here's mine so far, but as yet no soldering done, as I'm just checking everything off as it comes from the donor board:
Progress.jpg
Progress.jpg (371.47 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
There's a couple of issues I've hit so far in testing out component fit.

First is the keyboard connector, and I'm assuming that J12 on the remake board is the same as J12 on the real thing:
IKBD_Conn_2.jpg
IKBD_Conn_2.jpg (297.13 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
As you can see, either we're missing a hole, or a space, for the gap in the pins.

Second is the pitch of the MIDI socket ground connectors:
midi.jpg
midi.jpg (289.4 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
As you can see, the donor sockets have a wider pitch than the holes in the board.

Neither of these issues is insurmountable, I'm sure, but worth mentioning, unless I've missed a post here that covers both of these aspects.

Oh, and one thing I do have to say, is that the pitch on the ROM socket solder pads is FREAKING AWESOME!

Given the tight pitching of the pins on these sockets, it's a great job to have got them so perfect, mine dropped in with barely a wiggle :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm Well here's mine so far, but as yet no soldering done, as I'm just checking everything off as it comes from the donor board:

There's a couple of issues I've hit so far in testing out component fit.

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm First is the keyboard connector, and I'm assuming that J12 on the remake board is the same as J12 on the real thing:
Hmm, bugger,,

What I did matches the STF...
stf.jpg
stf.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
or.jpg
or.jpg (11.6 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
So why is the ST actually 1 pin longer :roll:
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm Second is the pitch of the MIDI socket ground connectors:
Yeah, posted about that earlier.. they were the ones icky sent, not the actually ones I purchased ages ago (lost in loft probably)

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm Oh, and one thing I do have to say, is that the pitch on the ROM socket solder pads is FREAKING AWESOME!
Given the tight pitching of the pins on these sockets, it's a great job to have got them so perfect, mine dropped in with barely a wiggle :)
Nice! hopefully everything else will line up..

As a note, pretty much alignment of everything is going to be out.. the PSU holes are not right either.. but this board is more to test everything works anyway.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

ahhh, the "blob" is pin 8 :lol: I thought it just was a ink blob and never thought it was a pin.. :roll:

or.jpg
or.jpg (11.6 KiB) Viewed 5788 times

Actually "1,8" probably it supposed to say.. Can "see" it now, should have followed the STE one!

ste.jpg
ste.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

At least they are both ground connectors and can be easily linked.

I'm hoping for an easy job in Dundee, so I can get cracking on the next few parts of the PCB when I get home at the end of the week.

Incidentally, I don't have a falcon ram board but was wondering if it's still possible to use something like the market and your 4mb board in the meantime?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm At least they are both ground connectors and can be easily linked.
Yeah, if both gnds are wired on the keyboard connector then probably not a issue really..

Forgottenmyname wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm Incidentally, I don't have a falcon ram board but was wondering if it's still possible to use something like the market and your 4mb board in the meantime?
Yeah, my 4MB MMU kit should work.

Actually probably a good idea for someone to use that anyway.. just in case the falcon ram card template wasn't wired up right :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

LMAO, I'll probably buy a new one from you, as I have no idea where I put the other one.

Too much tidying to do, too little time.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

OK cool, nothing we can't get round then 😊

One last thing I noticed, the reset switch pins are fine, but the metal can has no holes for its tabs. No biggie again, just something to consider for the next iteration.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “ALPHA DEVELOPMENT INFO”