EmuTOS debug version

All information relating to the Alpha plus all the WIP threads etc.
BlankVector

EmuTOS debug version

Post by BlankVector »

I'm very excited by your STF remake project, it is definitely going to become a great piece of hardware. I'm not a hardware guy myself, so I will not be able to help you in that area. But you are all very skilled, there is no doubt, so you will not need any help regarding to hardware 8-)

But debugging the hardware is another story.

What I propose here is a debug version of EmuTOS. It will boot and display progress messages. So you will know where it hangs. We already used that technique to debug the FireBee and other stuff, and it has proven to be easy (well, easier than anything else). One of the main features of EmuTOS is support for non-Atari hardware. More precisely, it is possible to selectively disable the usage of hardware components such as YM-2149, ACIAs, etc. So if you suspect some component to have trouble, just disable it, and see if it goes further.

EmuTOS is very versatile, it can be built as 192k ROM or 128k cartridge (and many others variants). Just tell me what form is best for you, and I will build it. Debug information can be sent to screen or serial port, as you wish.
Those settings needs do be decided at compile time, so please tell me your needs first.

I will be glad to help you to go forward.

PS: Of course, when hardware is debugged, you can go back to TOS ;)
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EmuTOS debug version

Post by exxos »

Interesting.. Didn't really think about there being a debug version of EmuTOS..

I guess if we get really stuck we can look into it :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
BlankVector

Post by BlankVector »

Feel free to ask. We can easily do custom debug builds, etc.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Sounds like we have a growing arsenal of tools to help diagnose the STF.
  • Diagnostic Cart
  • DiagROM
  • EmuTOS debug version

Return to “ALPHA DEVELOPMENT INFO”