STFM case remake

Latest Atari related news.
User avatar
rpineau
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by rpineau » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:46 pm

I agree that 3D printing or laser cutting are the only viable options for small runs.
A "big" 3D printer can be made for fairly cheap (use your existing one to print the part, get longer rods and cables...you know the drill).
Laser cutting would allow the case to be made in multiple smaller part that then locks together (puzzle like).
I think anything more that that is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Rodolphe

User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am

Agreed. As for the printer did you see the printtable sl? https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/just ... ack-tables

can be adapted to our needs.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2211
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

Maeke wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am
Agreed. As for the printer did you see the printtable sl? https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/just ... ack-tables

can be adapted to our needs.
Yeah I have seen those Ikea tables used before. If I was building another printer I would probably use them.

Problem mostly is physical size of the Atari case, its larger than A3. I could probably find a kit or adapt, but after 2 years I still not had much time to finish my current 3D printer :( Even so, I think a professional printer would give a better print.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

troed
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by troed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 am

FWIW I have a ~€2000 3D printer and I would not be terribly happy with the output quality for a case. It would need a lot of sanding down to get to an acceptable surface.

I've thought about splitting an STL and printing parts to glue together. Would be a lot of glue.

/Troed

User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 am

exxos wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am
Maeke wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am
Agreed. As for the printer did you see the printtable sl? https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/just ... ack-tables

can be adapted to our needs.
Yeah I have seen those Ikea tables used before. If I was building another printer I would probably use them.

Problem mostly is physical size of the Atari case, its larger than A3. I could probably find a kit or adapt, but after 2 years I still not had much time to finish my current 3D printer :( Even so, I think a professional printer would give a better print.
Of course a professional printer will give better prints, if used, calibrated and maintained correctly, still it will be too costly for most users.
Besides, here the ikea table isn't an enclosure, it's actually the printer itself.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

User avatar
rpineau
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by rpineau » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm

@Troed, try acetone. Put some on a paper towel and wipe the print with it.
You might need some sanding before but not as much as you'd think, specially if you print with ABS.
Rodolphe

Atarian Computing
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 pm

rpineau wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm
@Troed, try acetone. Put some on a paper towel and wipe the print with it.
You might need some sanding before but not as much as you'd think, specially if you print with ABS.
Rodolphe
Acetone only really works with ABS which is one of the most difficult to print, especially large pieces due to warping.

User avatar
rpineau
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by rpineau » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

True.

Gunstick
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Gunstick » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

Best 3D print for such big objects with overhang and holes is a powder based printer.
Or a stereolithography printer.

But using those files as a base for 3D printing is a good idea, as customizing is easy. You could engrave our name on the case or other crazy things, like better accessible joystick/mouse ports. A second floppy on the right side. SD card slot.

Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:

User avatar
IngoQ
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:38 am
Location: Germany

Re: STFM case remake

Post by IngoQ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

Gunstick wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am
Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:
I am sure, this will instantly collapse and form a black hole ;)
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Post Reply