STFM case remake

Latest Atari related news.
User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

IngoQ wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
Gunstick wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am
Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:
I am sure, this will instantly collapse and form a black hole ;)
One of the size of the universe.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Nothing much to say here, but I just watch one of Dave Jones videos...

What caught my attention was the prototype multimeter case, he said was 3-D printed. It looks very good quality that came off the printer just like that.. But this does make me think that there should be high quality 3-D printers which should be able to do a similar quality job on Atari cases.. I guess I could email Dave and ask...


4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
Smonson
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Smonson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 am

I checked Shapeways and they'll print a box about that size out of white nylon for you for about USD$4,300. They can also do stainless steel for ten times as much.

I'm thinking about it.

User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am

Smonson wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 am
I checked Shapeways and they'll print a box about that size out of white nylon for you for about USD$4,300. They can also do stainless steel for ten times as much.

I'm thinking about it.
Absolutely not affordable for me.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

I can get a silicon cast made for injection molding, but its limited to about 10 cases, but still would end up around £300-£500 per case anyway.

If a steel mold was made, the price per case is a lot more reasonable. But then its limited to just one case, ST, STF, STE, which one gets done ?

I am still looking for options, but a lot of manufactures can't do produce stuff as large as the ST case :(

I think the best option would be to buy a SLA printer.. still way to expensive, but would be the cheapest overall option I think.

I am still doubtful the top of the case (top vents ) are going to be printable by any means. I think they are just to small to survive any sort of printing. This would mean the only option is the injection molding route.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm

12.jpg
12.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 271 times
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

exxos wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am
I can get a silicon cast made for injection molding, but its limited to about 10 cases, but still would end up around £300-£500 per case anyway.

If a steel mold was made, the price per case is a lot more reasonable. But then its limited to just one case, ST, STF, STE, which one gets done ?

I am still looking for options, but a lot of manufactures can't do produce stuff as large as the ST case :(

I think the best option would be to buy a SLA printer.. still way to expensive, but would be the cheapest overall option I think.

I am still doubtful the top of the case (top vents ) are going to be printable by any means. I think they are just to small to survive any sort of printing. This would mean the only option is the injection molding route.
Why chose? Just remove the back plate and the floppy plate, and we'll do stl files for 3d printed ones, this way the same case can be used for the stf(m), the ste and the falcon.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

User avatar
DrF
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by DrF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:33 am

Maeke wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm
Why chose? Just remove the back plate and the floppy plate, and we'll do stl files for 3d printed ones, this way the same case can be used for the stf(m), the ste and the falcon.
If a steel mold was made, the price per case is a lot more reasonable. But then its limited to just one case, ST, STF, STE, which one gets done ?
Looking at these comments my thoughts would be cant you make one with like pop out covers/slots for different cases?
Like how old generic PC cases was like blank bits?

Like you know how a low end model car has all them places filled in with plastic caps/covers/slots but the high end model has something there, does that make more sense :p

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Main problem is rear of the cases are all different. I did talk about having it removable for various machines before.. but main problem is still cost, £300+ for a print. Where I am not sure on quality. End product would likely cost £500 per case with shipping included.

I hate to say it, but I think this project is just a dead-end. If the molds could be found, it would likely be possible to do, but the costs are just way to high regardless of what direction the project goes in.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
Maeke
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Maeke » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm

exxos wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm
Main problem is rear of the cases are all different. I did talk about having it removable for various machines before.. but main problem is still cost, £300+ for a print. Where I am not sure on quality. End product would likely cost £500 per case with shipping included.

I hate to say it, but I think this project is just a dead-end. If the molds could be found, it would likely be possible to do, but the costs are just way to high regardless of what direction the project goes in.
Then diy lasercutted acrylic?
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

Post Reply