STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pm Ok I understand your intention.
So I agree that the "best" way to get new original case is the injection mold.
As for "custom new case" using either 3D print, laser cut or CNC cut, this can still be useful for people with an existing STF/STE mother board with a lot of extension that can't be closed anymore.
As for a case for the mother board remake you're working on, an ATX (or mini ATX) format is indeed probably the best option, with a custom back panel.
No easy to figure out what is the most needed/wanted .
This all makes for a good and interesting talk :)
Nothing ever easy with this stuff ;) Think spray paint the old case is best option ;)

As for injection molding, if community can raise £40,000 then sure I can get proper cases made, maybe around £30-£50 per case. But based on 1,000 cases.. don't know of shipping costs, likely large container, plus I would need to rent a garage to store them all in. Would need 800 people to pledge £50 minimum..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 pm @Maeke, yes the diy route is probably the cheapest one.
To cut 2 to 3mm acrylic you need a CO2 laser with about 40W of power.
Also as we're talking about thin sheet of wood or acrylic, a CNC can also be used to cut the parts, cheaper than a laser cuter and less dangerous (think about fire, laser reflecting to your eyes, ... )
Rodolphe
I've obviously took into consideration the eyes issue, using an enclosure is still possible with laser light protection sheet.
As for the fire, cheap chinese 3d printers too can take fire, mine is protected against it, at least as much as i could.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm
exxos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm A "kit" form case would be a much cheaper option yes, but I'm talking of total accurate clone of the case. If people wanted a kit type case, then they could do it themselves.
So you want to take a block of "plastic" and CNC it to the exact STFM/STE case specs ?
I'm not against it but I think the reason most of us want new case is because we can't fit everything we want in the current one :)
Also as the STF case (bottom and top) are not 100% flat, this would be fairly complicated to do with a CNC and would require multi-axis CNC to do a top/bottom case with its sides (and back panel) and then flip it over to do the other side.

It's all a matter of cost and laser/CNC cut acrylic/wood would give us the option to make new cases for STFM/STE/MSTE/TT to the dimension we want to add cards and what not in them.
So may be these are two different projects..

Rodolphe
If i want at least one new case, it's because my stf came with a smashed uppder case, and i'm not the only one having this issue.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

@Maeke :
I see. I was thinking of DIY laser cutter like these :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1780556
Cutting acrylic with this could be a problem as it's fully open and will refract the laser light.
But yes Chinese ones are cheap-ish and fully closed.

Rodolpje
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 pm @Maeke :
I see. I was thinking of DIY laser cutter like these :
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1780556
Cutting acrylic with this could be a problem as it's fully open and will refract the laser light.
But yes Chinese ones are cheap-ish and fully closed.

Rodolpje
That's not what i meant when i talked about chinese stuff.
This said, the diy you linked to, surrounded by an ikea lack enclosure with a longer table (abviously, not the small square one). wood sheets on all sides could do the job.
I looked into laser protective sheets meanwhile, the price defeat the cheap diy idea, but glasses could do.
Sadly i can't do one myself, not enough room in my appartment, and i'd preferre to protect my cat from the laser.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Same here. not enough space, cat ...
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

rpineau wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 am Same here. not enough space, cat ...
Well at least there is a fablab in my town, but with my health i don't know when i'll be able to go.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I've ordered a 3D printed case from ireland to see what the quality is like.

At least with 3D printing changes can be made easily to the case. Cost is still a lot, costing around £450 to prototype this :roll: Cost me around the same to get the 3D files created, so totaled £1,000 easily so far :(

I be surprised if it actually prints out at all without collapsing..

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

exxos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm I've ordered a 3D printed case from ireland to see what the quality is like.

At least with 3D printing changes can be made easily to the case. Cost is still a lot, costing around £450 to prototype this :roll: Cost me around the same to get the 3D files created, so totaled £1,000 easily so far :(

I be surprised if it actually prints out at all without collapsing..

Well they'll certainly need some supports.
Gunstick

Post by Gunstick »

if it's an FDM printer, then supports are indeed needed.
With a stereo lithography printer, probably no supports or only minimal.
A powder printer: well it's support all the way, so basically no supports :-)

In a year's time I may have access to such a powder printer.

Return to “3D MODELS”