EmuTOS 1.0

Latest Atari related news.
Steve

Re: EmuTOS 1.0

Post by Steve »

anodyne wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:36 am
Steve wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Oh wow, this is really good! I never thought of using EmuTOS on my real machines before, but now I can't wait to start playing with it! Thanks for such a great explanation. I heard I shouldn't try on my Falcon due to DSP issues though, could you confirm? thx
EmuTOS doesn't yet support the XBIOS DSP functions, or the 16-bit VIDEL modes for the VDI. If you have NVDI, the VDI stuff should not be a problem (I think), but the lack of DSP support means that for many people EmuTOS is not (yet) a good choice for a Falcon system. We do plan to add DSP support, but these things take time ...
Hi Anodyne, I am just wondering if EmuTOS could be made multitasking aware. For instance it might be preferable to run the Mint kernel with the desktop as Emudesk with multitasking. I think this is a feature many people would appreciate.
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

Mint will replace the GEMDOS layer, so EmuTOS is not involved there any longer. You could theoretically just load mint, and still run the emudesk desktop, but it won't be aware of longer filenames. Also the AES would still be single-tasking, so it won't make much sense. Replacing the AES by something like XaAES will then render most of EmuTOS unused. This is exactly what ARAnyM already does for years ;) EmuTOS is just used there to boot up the system.
You can do the same on real machines, when you can live with the fact that such a combo is rather memory hungry (4MB being the absolute minimum), and that of course it is much slower. But then again, not much of EmuTOS is used, except maybe the builtin harddisk driver.
Steve

Post by Steve »

thorsten.otto wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:32 pm Mint will replace the GEMDOS layer, so EmuTOS is not involved there any longer. You could theoretically just load mint, and still run the emudesk desktop, but it won't be aware of longer filenames. Also the AES would still be single-tasking, so it won't make much sense. Replacing the AES by something like XaAES will then render most of EmuTOS unused. This is exactly what ARAnyM already does for years ;) EmuTOS is just used there to boot up the system.
You can do the same on real machines, when you can live with the fact that such a combo is rather memory hungry (4MB being the absolute minimum), and that of course it is much slower. But then again, not much of EmuTOS is used, except maybe the builtin harddisk driver.
Oh I see... I remember reading about a TOS=GEM option to use the TOS rom as the desktop in Mint, obviously without any Multitasking. This is kind of what I was getting at.. having a 'Multitos' look and feel of the Atari while using Mint. With all the other benefits...
mjaap

Post by mjaap »

Steve wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:30 am Hi Anodyne, I am just wondering if EmuTOS could be made multitasking aware. For instance it might be preferable to run the Mint kernel with the desktop as Emudesk with multitasking. I think this is a feature many people would appreciate.
Well, if EmuTOS follows TOS, it will eventually arrive at TOS 4.92 (which could be turned into MultiTOS with MiNT) ;)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Finally got my dual cpu/relocator/dual ROM board stable again, at least for one CPU and ran GEMBENCH6.

Very interesting timings, especially RAM speed, 90%. Other than "GEM Dialog Box" (96%), "VDI Graphics" (69%) and "GEM Window" (98%) everything else scores at 100% or above relative to TOS 1.04 on the same hardware.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

mjaap wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm Well, if EmuTOS follows TOS, it will eventually arrive at TOS 4.92 (which could be turned into MultiTOS with MiNT) ;)
Interpolating the time it took to advance from version 0.1 to version 1.0, that will happen in ~83 years :D

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”