Lightning VME open Order

Latest Atari related news.
troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Lightning VME open Order

Post by troed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Ouch. To say this was a tight fit is an understatement! Now not everyone might have these PALs socketed as was in my MSTE, but also the clearance to the PLCC socket was sub-millimeter to be able to fit this. The PAL I had to take out from its socket first, and then (again, submillimeter clearance) squeeze back in and somehow press down into its socket again. I was dead sure I would have to remove the socket and solder it directly but it seems to have gone fine ...

The Lightning reads the USB stick I already was using with Alan H's Unicorn perfectly, and seems to be quite a bit faster.

caveat: I was mistakenly under the impression that the USB port holder was Mega STE/TT VME-slot/backplane manufactured. I understand why it's not, but now I have to go design something for the 3D printer.

lightning2.JPG
lightning2.JPG (151.27 KiB) Viewed 865 times
lightning1.JPG
lightning1.JPG (171.96 KiB) Viewed 865 times

frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

In my Atari Mega STE the Lightning Adapter fits fine. I use a little bit of tape for the GAL pins.

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 am

I know this is the first rev of the Lightning VME but the piggy backing on the bus is actually a great design feature a bit more tweaking should cover most variants of the MegaSTE and TT.

It had occurred to me that this method of using the bus may lead to more boards being used to put things in the TT case itself.

The thought I had was around the Nova cards. If we could piggy back a similar designed Nova card then the ISA board would fit nicely in the place of the VME tray and have the back panel for the USB and VGA out.

A nice solution bringing USB and VGA as contained upgrades to the TT MegaSTE case.

czietz

Post by czietz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 am

Icky wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 am
I know this is the first rev of the Lightning VME but the piggy backing on the bus is actually a great design feature a bit more tweaking should cover most variants of the MegaSTE and TT.
Which variant specifically are you referring to that is not covered by the current Lightning VME design? We have done months of testing before release and haven't found any variant where it doesn't fit.

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 am

czietz wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 am
Icky wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 am
Which variant specifically are you referring to that is not covered by the current Lightning VME design? We have done months of testing before release and haven't found any variant where it doesn't fit.
Not referring to any variant it was an observation looking at the pictures above on some motherboards this looks a little tight and may be future revisions may accommodate these variations in the motherboards such as raised GALs etc to make it a little easier.

Just commenting that its a great design - the way this piggybacks onto the VME bus is a stroke of genius.

troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by troed » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Alright, prettier version will come but this will do in the meantime. Prints well on an Ultimaker 2, 100% infill, surprisingly rigid even with PLA.

(Yes, I have paint in the right color which will be used on a more final version ;))

.STL: https://troed.ddns.net/f/472c0b4cd78c4de584bd/

lightning_backplate.JPG
lightning_backplate.JPG (119.28 KiB) Viewed 797 times

tuxie

Post by tuxie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi,

yes the MegaSTE is a bit strange there is less space then in TT but you got it working and thats the point..

btw. here you can find the newest drivers, now also with Keyboard and USB Floppy support

http://www.newtosworld.de/downloads/tre ... htning-vme

rthorntn

Post by rthorntn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 am

Can I buy one please, sorry Newbie can't send IM,

Celco

Post by Celco » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Dear tuxie
Is the Lightning interface still available ?
Sorry to ask you via this way, but it seems that i cant send pm as a new user.
Thank you in advance
Marcel

czietz

Post by czietz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:24 pm

You can contact the "sales department" :D via e-mail: thunderstorm(at)tuxie.de.