Lightning VME open Order

Latest Atari related news.
Steve

Re: Lightning VME open Order

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:16 pm
Been playing with the Lightning VME with usb ethernet adaptor. Have put the sting package on the back burner because the control panel plugins appear to broken and corrupt the system when used. However I have been playing with uip.tos and it appears to be 100% functional serving a web page but it will not accept writes 98% of the time, they just sit there queued. Once in a while attempting to write a small file say less than 300 bytes it will transfer when dropped on the webpage. All most always it will hang as queued?? Ether it doesn't like ethernet adaptor or the software has an issue. Does anyone know if the uip.tos app source is available. Is there any documentation anywhere? Does anyone with a Lightning have the ethernet working? As you can see from the attachment when I drag and drop it almost always says queued and nothing beyond that ever happens. If you drop more files they just stack up as queued.

My guess is it might work better with a multitasking os?

clogged.png
I don't use uiptool with my lightning setup but I do use mint and litchi ftp with no problems. I stopped using uiptool back when I relied on netusbee because most file transfers ended up corrupt.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 pm
I don't use uiptool with my lightning setup but I do use mint and litchi ftp with no problems. I stopped using uiptool back when I relied on netusbee because most file transfers ended up corrupt.
Ya I believe mint is the answer. Do you have a preference on the version of mint, and are you using a TT or MSTE? I am wondering about the perforance on an MSTE.

Thanks

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

I am using a TT, I think if you choose vanilla mint your performance will be very good. As long as you have 4mb ram.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

czietz

Post by czietz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Does anyone know if the uip.tos app source is available.
For the version working with the Lightning VME and USB2LAN adapters: https://bitbucket.org/czietz/uip-tools/src
PaulJ wrote:
Does anyone with a Lightning have the ethernet working?
Of course. Both uiptool and the STiNG driver work for me. Otherwise I would not have released them.

PS: I merely ported uiptool to the Lightning VME. There's a long support thread for the original version over at Atari-Forum.com. Iirc, some web browsers work better than others.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:15 pm

I must admit that I've never had any issues with uiptool, either with NetUSBee on the ST(e) or the version for USB ethernet dongles on the TT.

I've never got STiNG working on either and my MiNT is too old for the current MiNTnet stuff.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm not going to put a lot of effort into getting it working under tos. I'm fairly sure under tos that the designers have attempted to setup multiple execution threads to handle the network stack which appeariently doesn't work optimally. I can reliably see what's on the MSTE file systems and download files but getting it to accept something rarely works with it showing in the browser as queued forever. Guess I'll give MINT a try. :D :D :D

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 am

By accident I was using chrome on the mac today and tries a file transfer from the mac to the atari expecting the normal failure,, but uip.prg is happy to accept files from chrome.I transferred ~ 20 files ranging in size from 1k to 500k and they all transfered with no issue. So it makes it pretty convienient to load files to the atari from the mac.

I usually don't plug the sandisk cards into the mac even though its a very quick transfer method. The issue is the mac put ~ 4 or 5 directory structures on the sandisk that can contain hundreds of crap spotlight files. So in general I was plugging them into linux running on a vmware instance so I could avoid the mac bs files.

So now I can just use chrome since it appears to be solid. What I have found:

Safari doesn't work mac for write
firefox doesn't work mac or windows for write
chrome works for read and write on mac... haven't tried windows
ms browser read works poorly, write works 1 out of 20 times if file is small.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 am

Ok, had the MSTE powered off for a while and went back re-connected with chrome and dropped 8 files at once on the atari web page. Did all of them with no issue except the last one its still working on which is 38mb but it looks like it will finish also. Its up to 55% now and cranking. Strange that only chrome is working.. if I get bored maybe I'll throw wireshark on it. :D :D :D

uip.jpg
uip.jpg (206.91 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

Icky

Post by Icky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:27 am

PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 am
I usually don't plug the sandisk cards into the mac even though its a very quick transfer method. The issue is the mac put ~ 4 or 5 directory structures on the sandisk that can contain hundreds of crap spotlight files. So in general I was plugging them into linux running on a vmware instance so I could avoid the mac bs files.
Hi PaulJ. I use the sandisk etc on my Mac. I have some commands you can type into terminal that stops Spotlight and Trash files plus all the _ files being created on the disk. I’ll dig them out a bit later when I am home. Saves me no end of having to use a VM etc. I can just transfer files like normal.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Icky wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:27 am
PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 am
Hi PaulJ. I use the sandisk etc on my Mac. I have some commands you can type into terminal that stops Spotlight and Trash files plus all the _ files being created on the disk. I’ll dig them out a bit later when I am home. Saves me no end of having to use a VM etc. I can just transfer files like normal.
Hmm, are you using 10.14.1? I was unable to find anything on the web and the Apple rep told me there was no way to stop the os from loading up every file system with crap. I did get an app that you use to dismount a file system and it erases all the crap on dismount but all the writing and deleting on a small file system kind of scambles the file system. I'd be interested in seeing the commands.

I just dug out my old sun ultra 5. Thought I'd run it but the nvram is dead so I have to chop it open and change the battery. Man, what beautiful hardware sun made. Really miss working in a unix env. On a scale of 1 to a 100 windoze is a 1, apple is falling fast. So I'm looking for a good retro unix home, how many virus's can there be for sun OS? Anyway Icky I'd be interested in those commands for osx.. :D :D :D

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”