Lightning VME open Order

Latest Atari related news.
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Lightning VME open Order

Post by PaulJ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm

As a final follow up the 38 meg file finished successfully, so it is quite usable for transferring normal atari app's. Although the 38 meg file finished successfully it would be much quicker to just transfer it via the sandisk plugged into the mac or linux. So the Lightning VME is a nice addition. Wireless mouse, usb stick, and the ethernet works. :) :D :)

czietz

Post by czietz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Glad to hear that.

As soon as I find some time, I'll update my uiptool port from "upstream", i.e., the original author. Maybe this improves browser compatibility?

Icky

Post by Icky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 pm

PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 pm
Icky wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:27 am

Hi PaulJ. I use the sandisk etc on my Mac. I have some commands you can type into terminal that stops Spotlight and Trash files plus all the _ files being created on the disk. I’ll dig them out a bit later when I am home. Saves me no end of having to use a VM etc. I can just transfer files like normal.
Hmm, are you using 10.14.1? I was unable to find anything on the web and the Apple rep told me there was no way to stop the os from loading up every file system with crap. I did get an app that you use to dismount a file system and it erases all the crap on dismount but all the writing and deleting on a small file system kind of scambles the file system. I'd be interested in seeing the commands.

I just dug out my old sun ultra 5. Thought I'd run it but the nvram is dead so I have to chop it open and change the battery. Man, what beautiful hardware sun made. Really miss working in a unix env. On a scale of 1 to a 100 windoze is a 1, apple is falling fast. So I'm looking for a good retro unix home, how many virus's can there be for sun OS? Anyway Icky I'd be interested in those commands for osx.. :D :D :D
I had a look on my laptop and a couple of things I do is to:
  • In System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy tab add in the CF or SD card volume eg. /Volumes/MEDIA
  • Run this command to stop all the extra files being written to usb, CF etc volumes from the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores -bool true
This seems to work for me. There is also another command which I am still trying to find that you can run against a volume that already has all those extra files on it to remove them. Will dig it out when I find it.

Icky

Post by Icky » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Icky wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Hmm, are you using 10.14.1? I was unable to find anything on the web and the Apple rep told me there was no way to stop the os from loading up every file system with crap. I did get an app that you use to dismount a file system and it erases all the crap on dismount but all the writing and deleting on a small file system kind of scambles the file system. I'd be interested in seeing the commands.

I just dug out my old sun ultra 5. Thought I'd run it but the nvram is dead so I have to chop it open and change the battery. Man, what beautiful hardware sun made. Really miss working in a unix env. On a scale of 1 to a 100 windoze is a 1, apple is falling fast. So I'm looking for a good retro unix home, how many virus's can there be for sun OS? Anyway Icky I'd be interested in those commands for osx.. :D :D :D
I had a look on my laptop and a couple of things I do is to:
  • In System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy tab add in the CF or SD card volume eg. /Volumes/MEDIA
  • Run this command to stop all the extra files being written to usb, CF etc volumes from the terminal

sudo defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores -bool true
This seems to work for me. There is also another command which I am still trying to find that you can run against a volume that already has all those extra files on it to remove them. Will dig it out when I find it.
The other command to clean a SD or CF card before removing / ejecting it from a Mac is

dot_clean /Volumes/Media
where Media is the name of the CF volume

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:36 pm

As a follow up I came across an usb to ethernet adapter I purchased for a tivo many ages ago. Gave it a try and it worked just like the recently purchased adaptor. Only will receive data from google chrome browser.. so I'm guessing its a software feature.. :)

Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Just thought I would post this here.

Anyone using a VME Lightning with a Monster card??

They both have IDE interfaces and I wondered if one or the other could be disabled so that all runs together smooth??

James

czietz

Post by czietz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm

The Lightning VME has no IDE interface.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm

tuxie wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 pm
We habe finished all driver issues, i will send the payment Information today, if someone is interested please send me an IM..
Tuxie, have the drivers been updated from the beginning of the year?

czietz

Post by czietz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am

PaulJ wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm
I'm not Tuxie, but I'm the one actually working on the drivers. Current released drivers are still r127. See http://www.newtosworld.de/downloads/tre ... htning-vme
May I ask which problem you have with that driver version?

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 pm

czietz wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am
PaulJ wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:41 pm
I'm not Tuxie, but I'm the one actually working on the drivers. Current released drivers are still r127. See http://www.newtosworld.de/downloads/tre ... htning-vme
May I ask which problem you have with that driver version?
Everything is working fine other that uip.tos only works with Chrome, Safari and Firefox hang. Just want to keep up to date with the latest. :)