MSTE PSU has 25V cap instead of 10V - safe to replace?

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MSTE PSU has 25V cap instead of 10V - safe to replace?

Post by exxos »

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
sandord

Post by sandord »

Thanks, that's very useful! For starters, now I know how to connect the dummy load (I don't have the MSTE here anyway and I can't return the PSU untested now can I ;) ).
sandord

Post by sandord »

I like to leave some credits behind after finishing a recap using an Exxos' kit (that and the fact that I take any reason to use my label writer :ugeek:)

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (415.32 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

sandord wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 pm I like to leave some credits behind after finishing a recap using an Exxos' kit (that and the fact that I take any reason to use my label writer :ugeek:)

:lolbig: :bravo: What label write you got ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
sandord

Post by sandord »

exxos wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 pm :lolbig: :bravo: What label write you got ?
It's a Brother QL-710W.

As you've probably noted from my packages, I was serious when I said I like to take any reason to use my label writer :lol:

On a serious note, it's not a bad habit to write the recap year on the device because perhaps sometime in the future, someone else might possess the device and wonder if a recap would be required.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

sandord wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 pm As you've probably noted from my packages, I was serious when I said I like to take any reason to use my label writer :lol:
Yes, I noticed :lol:
sandord wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 pm On a serious note, it's not a bad habit to write the recap year on the device because perhaps sometime in the future, someone else might possess the device and wonder if a recap would be required.
Very good idea!
mikro

Post by mikro »

Actually, I have a real report similar to this one. :) Exxos recap kit (0064) indicates that for C8 (25v/100uF) and C24 (25v/220uF) would be replaced by 50v/220uF. However my package contains still caps rated at 25V. I guess it's not a big deal, just curious why?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

mikro wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:58 pm Actually, I have a real report similar to this one. :) Exxos recap kit (0064) indicates that for C8 (25v/100uF) and C24 (25v/220uF) would be replaced by 50v/220uF. However my package contains still caps rated at 25V. I guess it's not a big deal, just curious why?
0064 doesn't actually list any caps in the kit in my store.

Firstly, the parts listed on my psu pages are the parts I used at the time I did the updates. Parts listed there are probably never going to match exactly what's in my store. There is likely several months between what's on my site to what's in my store. Plus parts in the kits may well vary from batch to batch because Farnell keeps going out of stock on stuff. So I have to use alternative parts.. which also means what's on my site will be wrong.

I did write about this a lot somewhere. I just don't have the time to keep my site updated to reflect the "Real time" changes. Its bad enough having to keep looking for similar parts without having to keep the site updated each time a part changes.. even if I did, what parts people get, to whats on my site would still vary if they brought a kit 6 months ago and I change the list on my site. So I just don't bother updating the site.

I do try to list caps in my store which reflect what's in the actual kit, though things can change batch to batch so looks like I just didn't list the caps in that kit at all due to the constant changes of parts.

At the end of the day, if the voltage is the same or higher things are OK. But in cases of some SR98 PSU's, some have 16V caps fitted, others 25V, others even 35V... So people take out the 25V one, I supply 16V in my kit and people think its wrong and question it.. constantly.. :roll:

Though as I mentioned elsewhere, I have started buying capacitors in bulk because of such issues.. I spent just under £400 on 2 caps for the SR98 kits this week.. So I am trying to prevent such confusion, but its not easy.. and its costing a fortune to bulk buy all this stuff..
mikro

Post by mikro »

exxos wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pmI do try to list caps in my store which reflect what's in the actual kit, though things can change batch to batch so looks like I just didn't list the caps in that kit at all due to the constant changes of parts.
This is totally OK. I was just wondering what was the reason and if this is the reason, I don't complain. :-) Basically all I was asking whether it's expected (25V vs. 50V seemed to me like a big difference), i.e. that I wont kill my PSU and/or TT. :-)
sandord

Post by sandord »

exxos wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm I do try to list caps in my store which reflect what's in the actual kit, though things can change batch to batch so looks like I just didn't list the caps in that kit at all due to the constant changes of parts.
Maybe it's helpful (if you have the time) to add a short remark to the kit descriptions that states that voltages are okay to be higher than listed etc. That should reduce the number of questions you get.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”