Determined to add internal IDE to my STFM

Problems with your machine in general.
sety

Determined to add internal IDE to my STFM

Post by sety » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:09 am

After trying to build the Popsel & Perra IDE interface a few times with the very vintage PNG-carbon image transfer method (what a messy job! and with no Excellon it's also time consuming!) I bit the bullet and bought this IDE board that goes on or under the 68k.
AtariIDE.JPG
AtariIDE.JPG (158.97 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Nuts! It is right where I wanted to put the IDE drive. Not only that but it interferes with the keyboard connector. There is enough meat on the board that I could chop it out or I could move the keyboard connector.

This isn't the board I plan on using, it's just an old one I keep to visualise stuff, but I'm pretty sure the computer I want to put it in to is also a Revision D.

Any advice?

Kind Regards,
Stuart

Icky

Re: Determined to add internal IDE to my STFM

Post by Icky » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am

sety wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:09 am
After trying to build the Popsel & Perra IDE interface a few times with the very vintage PNG-carbon image transfer method (what a messy job! and with no Excellon it's also time consuming!) I bit the bullet and bought this IDE board that goes on or under the 68k.

AtariIDE.JPG

Nuts! It is right where I wanted to put the IDE drive. Not only that but it interferes with the keyboard connector. There is enough meat on the board that I could chop it out or I could move the keyboard connector.

This isn't the board I plan on using, it's just an old one I keep to visualise stuff, but I'm pretty sure the computer I want to put it in to is also a Revision D.

Any advice?

Kind Regards,
Stuart
Before hacking anything on the board, which I don’t recommend, have you checked the other ST board out that you intend to put this on. The 68k may be in a different place.

If it is only the keyboard connector that’s in the way may be a simple extension cable. E.g. desolder the connector block and hook it up to wires and solder the wires into the board that way the cable is flexible and can lie flat under the board and out from under it.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:27 am

I'm sure you will solve placement of it in good way.
Usual problem with IDE in old computers in last years is: what CF cards are good for. What disk or CF card, maybe some IDE/SD adapter you plan to use ? Lot of CF cards may have writing problems, what is caused by not really proper signal timings on Atari ST bus for IDE/ATA. Depends from used adapter too.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sety

Post by sety » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 am

Petari wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:27 am
I'm sure you will solve placement of it in good way.
Usual problem with IDE in old computers in last years is: what CF cards are good for. What disk or CF card, maybe some IDE/SD adapter you plan to use ? Lot of CF cards may have writing problems, what is caused by not really proper signal timings on Atari ST bus for IDE/ATA. Depends from used adapter too.
Out of elegance and in keeping with the vintage theme I'd really like to use magnetic IDE.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 am

Fine. But then will need extra PSU for 3.5 inch drive - Atari's is not enough strong. 2.5 inch may work well if Atari PSU is on good condition. I used my 520 ST with diverse 2.5 inch drives in period 1992-2000 .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

sety

Post by sety » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 am

Well it worked. I can't believe all this actually worked the first time around. I was sure it was going to take a few reworks.

Now to pluck out all those ROM chips and flash 'em with TOS 206... This is shaping up to be a big job. I'm exhausted.
Attachments
AtariIDE2.JPG
AtariIDE2.JPG (70.72 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
AtariIDE1.JPG
AtariIDE1.JPG (130.76 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

sety

Post by sety » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

Oh that's right. I can't split 2.06 amongst 6 ROM chips. :(

I will have to buy the converter. While I wait for that, does anyone know if it's possible to install emutos on a 6 chip ST?

frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 am

You can build two 27C010 Eproms to fit in a 28pin socket. Ask Exxos for guidance to do that. And at a CE wire to the GAL on the IDE Interface Board and ROM2 to the GAL on the IDE Interface Board. See the 1040ST schematics ...
Artikel_klein.jpg
Artikel_klein.jpg (493.99 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Attachments
ide_ohne_tos+tos206_klein.jpg
ide_ohne_tos+tos206_klein.jpg (247.64 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

sety

Post by sety » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Sweet! You have the same IDE board. I was going to piggy back mine but decided to socket the CPU instead. I had to destroy the original 68K to do this though, but I'm glad I did.

I had a couple of 68K processors kicking around that I flogged from an abandoned TV station a while ago. I wasn't even sure if they worked. Couldn't believe it when it booted straight up with the old TV station CPU in the new socket!

Hoping to restore my old TOS ROMs and put the covers back on. I'm way to tired to do anymore tonight. I will revisit it next week. :)

Thanks! :)

frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:43 pm

See for 27C010 Eproms in the ST 28pin sockets -> http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/tos/index.htm

ROM HACKING UPGRADES
Attachments
ide_ohne_tos+tos206_2_klein.jpg
ide_ohne_tos+tos206_2_klein.jpg (303.27 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”