scott.clifford

FDD not working but HDD is..

Post by scott.clifford »

OK, so here we go...
The machine.
Atari STE 4MB
NO UPGRADES OR MODS
This is the story.
The floppy drive lights up and does everything its supposed to do when a disk is NOT in the drive. Even when a disk IS in the drive.
I can confirm that a working drive was used because I also have A Mega ST1 that works flawlessly.
You double click from the desktop and it makes no attempt to read, you just get the 'Disk not present' message
This happens on BOTH INTERNAL and External drives.

The really interesting thing is I use a HDD from the ACSI port with an ICD LINK2... Bought from Chris himself. This drive has no issues whatsoever (to my knowledge) and can copy/read/write at will.

What I've done so far...

Recapped PSU.
Resoldered points on WD1772
Checked for cracks or breaks along the tracks. None present that I can see.

So any and all suggestions are welcome.
I read chris' DMA pages with interest, esp reading about the HC68000 cpu... Just a little lost on what 'pullups' are... My electronics expertise is non existant. Well, I know what a resistor, a capacitor and a ic is ;)
And I'm not too shabby at soldering lol
Any and all help welcome. Also, any additional info, just ask
Thanks guys
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FDD not working but HDD is..

Post by exxos »

The DMA is likely working just fine as the hard drive is.

What I was saying about pull ups (assuming the 1772 isn't faulty itself) is "missing" resistors on the LS06 chip...

This was only found a couple weeks back because of issues on the STF remake board. https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =60#p10751

In the image below, you need to connect a 1K resistor from each point to 5V.

So the LS06, pins 2,4,6,8,10 to a resistor, then 5V is on pin 14.

111.jpg
111.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Not saying this is your issue, you could have a bad LS06 or 1772.. but I have heard others with odd floppy issues on the STE which seems to be mostly unsolved. So IMHO trying the pull up resistors is a the next logical step to me.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
scott.clifford

Re: FDD not working but HDD is..

Post by scott.clifford »

Will take a look at exactly where (and what?!) ls06 is a little later..
1k resistors.. OK I know what those are :lol:

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”