STFM Booster 2.3 + Dual TOS Kit, TOS 2.06 Issue

Problems with your machine in general.
leon22

STFM Booster 2.3 + Dual TOS Kit, TOS 2.06 Issue

Post by leon22 »

Hi!

I have installed the booster and the Dual TOS Kit and the connections (ROM Select and 16MHz Wire) and for TOS 1.04 everything
works perfectly but if I change to TOS 2.06 I got 4 bombs after memory test (see attached Images)!

TOS 1.04
jieuV3K.jpg
jieuV3K.jpg (232.23 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

TOS 2.06 Boot Screen

xCn3Ic1.jpg
xCn3Ic1.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Mainboard with Extensions

FgWsJ8c.jpg
FgWsJ8c.jpg (537.9 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Do you have a hint what's going wrong here?

Thank you and Greets,
Peter
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM Booster 2.3 + Dual TOS Kit, TOS 2.06 Issue

Post by exxos »

I would check your floppy drive connections. TOS206 is more fussy about the floppy than TOS104 is.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
leon22

Post by leon22 »

Yes, it's definitely the floppy drive! Is it also possible to boot without? (I checked the connections but
found no failure -> with TOS 1.04 the floppy works perfectly as mentioned)

What else I can do? (should I change the cable or do you think the floppy drive will fail soon?)

Thank you!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Are you testing with no floppy in the drive ? Not all programs are compatible with TOS206 (boot sectors on floppies for example) So a totally blank floppy in the drive or no floppy (45 seconds to desktop) is the best starting point.

I can't tell if you have the booster & ROM in sockets, but if so, wipe the contacts with IPA. Odd things are 99% of the time a iffy connection somewhere.

I would also suggest you keep all the wiring as short as possible, your wires are rather long which can cause odd issues.

It is also possible your PSU isn't stable enough if it hasn't be recapped. When the floppy motor turns on it pulls current and the voltage drops causing crashes.

Also, have you tried 8MHz mode with TOS206 ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
leon22

Post by leon22 »

It's the same behavior with or without disk!
If I disconnect the keyboard the 4 bombs appears immediately but no problem with TOS 1.04!

Do you really think there are issues with the contacts or wire lengths? (I would expect same manner with TOS 1.04)

My 8MHz cable is not connected at the moment because I was not able to solder it to the edging of the board!

@PSU: I'm not sure if the capacitors are renewed (I got the device from ebay)!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It doesn't take much to upset things, mostly its bad contacts. Wire lengths can play a part also, even where you route the cables can be a factor. Bad PSU will not help.

Also just because TOS104 boots to desktop, doesn't mean its without errors. TOS206 is more fussy to errors than TOS104.

You need to try 8MHz mode, because if that runs OK then its likely a PSU related issue. But there are many things which can cause things to fail..

I also found last week a resistor in series with the ROM_CE wire (68R typically) may help solve some stability issues.

So you need to work though all I have suggested one by one as simple things need to be ruled out before anything else.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Connect a Harddisk to the ACSI Port.
leon22

Post by leon22 »

Thanks!

Maybe a stupid question but how can I switch to 8MHz mode if both wires are connected? (16+8MHz cables)

Greets, Peter
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

leon22 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm Maybe a stupid question but how can I switch to 8MHz mode if both wires are connected? (16+8MHz cables)
Did you follow the install guide on my site when you fitted the booster ? Its explained there ( Grey wire on images) which is the "mode select" wire between 8MHz & 16MHz....

In fact if you do not have this wire connected to either 5V or 0V, then that is also a likely issue to crashes. It selects 8MHz ot 16MHz mode and when not connected it can causes random errors in the booster logic.

EDIT:

Some boosters I may have fitted a resistor on the back of the board to pull into 16MHz mode, but I don't know remember if I did that on all boards which were sold.
leon22

Post by leon22 »

exxos wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 pm
leon22 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm Maybe a stupid question but how can I switch to 8MHz mode if both wires are connected? (16+8MHz cables)
Did you follow the install guide on my site when you fitted the booster ? Its explained there ( Grey wire on images) which is the "mode select" wire between 8MHz & 16MHz....

In fact if you do not have this wire connected to either 5V or 0V, then that is also a likely issue to crashes. It selects 8MHz ot 16MHz mode and when not connected it can causes random errors in the booster logic.
Sure, but in the install guide you write:

There are 3 wires to solder.

1) 16MHz wire (white wire) Connects to the shifter pin 39.
2) ROM select wire (orange wire ) Connects ROM board to booster.
3) 8MHz mode select wire (grey wire) (optional). Connect to 0V to GAL pin 13 to enable 8MHz mode.

So the 8MHz select wire (grey), which is optional, has to solder to 0V and if I want to switch the mode I have to unsolder the 16 or 8MHz wire?
(it's not clear to me from the description how to change the mode)

Thank you!

PS: The grey wire is currently not connected!

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”