Damage done to my STE

Problems with your machine in general.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Damage done to my STE

Post by rubber_jonnie »

My suggestion, and I think I've made it before a couple of times, is to enlist the help of an experienced electronics expert who will know how to clean up the board and how to make the necessary repairs. It looks very like a thick layer of burned on flux or damaged solder mask, not to mention the shorts you've managed to create with solder blobs, and until its cleaned up you won't be able to move forward. I'm a little concerned about the damage you've done to the ROM sockets too. Just find someone else to help you rather than completely kill the board. It doesn't help you tried to desolder the zero ohm links from the top side of the board rather than the bottom. If you still have the old soldering iron, don't take a photo, chuck it in the bin.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

Actually I just ordered another 1040STE motherboardfrom Great Britian , for 60 pounds plus 45 pounds shipping ooff E-Bay, it includes the shield on it too for that price, after I get the new one anyone want the old one (minus the part from Exxos), it has 4 megs ram in it and gets a picture but the picture is scrambled. Russ
TheNameOfTheGame

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

My God, it looks like a crime scene STe style. How did you do that much damage even with an iron? Did the iron fall and sit on the motherboard for a couple minutes?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

rcamp48 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 pm Actually I just ordered another 1040STE motherboardfrom Great Britian , for 60 pounds plus 45 pounds shipping ooff E-Bay, it includes the shield on it too for that price, after I get the new one anyone want the old one (minus the part from Exxos), it has 4 megs ram in it and gets a picture but the picture is scrambled. Russ
I may be interested if the shipping cost (You're in Canada right?) isn't overly expensive, as I can repair this.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

The order fell through, but I found someone local to fix it here and I have schematics for it, since it is all socketed I will hang onto it. Russ
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

rcamp48 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 pm The order fell through, but I found someone local to fix it here and I have schematics for it, since it is all socketed I will hang onto it. Russ
No worries.
sety

Post by sety »

Did you use a plumbing iron on it or something?

I'm happy to clean it up for you if you're in Australia.

Cheers.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Hey all,

Well I just picked up this machine from Russ.. he has decided to move on from Atari stuff for now.

The Tos switcher needs some new header pins..
stetos.jpg
stetos.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
I dont think the sockets are damaged to the point where it needs any repair per say.

The effected pins are the TOS selector headers. This is just a 2 layer board correct? I do not have another STE here.. Just STF and Mega etc.

The Shot Chris put up shows that I think other than munching that side of the board I dont think other traces were effected.

These lines I found on the backside of the board in that area.. Not sure if they are factory or not.. If anyone can comment. I can start tracing them out unless someone knows these are a factory fix.
sterepair.jpg
sterepair.jpg (326.22 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
The machine does power on. It is not getting to the bios. I have not cleaned up the area yet.. that will be my next step.. The traces on the bottom still seem to be in tact. I would need to replace the resistors to see if I can get a regular tos working. It does not look like the Tos Switcher was in the board when the butcher job took place.. so after replacing the header pins I could try this again.

Open to any suggestions.

James
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Wow... did Russ sell you the soldering iron that inflicted the damage on that board? Really would be interesting to see a picture of it. Russ did say he was going to post a picture but it never happened. Out of curiosity which computer did Russ move onto? Something must of really pis%ed him off based on his sudden exit from Atari equipment. Any how wish Russ the best and you on your efforts to revitalize the equipment you obtained.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Isn't Russ doing a lot of stuff on his bbs or did he loose interest in that too? He posted rather frequently on AtariAge before but it seems that have also come to an end.

Well, it's not a factory job underneath the board.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”