Damage done to my STE

Problems with your machine in general.
rcamp48

Damage done to my STE

Post by rcamp48 »

Hi: I would like to ask about my STE , over a year ago I unfortunately did damage to the motherboard by using a cheap soldering iron. I will post a picture of it , at least I get a screen come up, but garbled. I have cleaned the effected area ansd taken a really close up of the damage done. Is there anyone in Canada that can fix this ? I don't want to do any further damage , I am ordering a Hakko desoldering pump , then I might work on it a bit to remove the soldering blobs , IF nobody can fix it for me locally. The only thing I have done is cleaned the board with alcohol, and used a tooth brush to get all the burn marks off, maybe it needs more cleaning to see if the traces are effected, here is the picture.
The latest image of my motherboard for the STE
The latest image of my motherboard for the STE
IMG_3438.JPG (360.58 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Thank you in advance to all who may be able to help. Russ
Atarian Computing

Re: Damage done to my STE

Post by Atarian Computing »

All I can do to help at this point is to ask you to watch the vids I've linked in this post: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 6579#p6579

That should get you started
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looks like a blow torch was used on it ?!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 pm Looks like a blow torch was used on it ?!
I was wondering that myself.

It is saveable but with a lot of effort. If you don't have the skill to start the repair is recommend you don't start at all. Apologies if that sounds harsh but you may make matters worse.

Cheapest options be to buy another STe.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

Correct me if I am wrong but that w103 zero ohm resister should not be there for this mod?
Russ
And yes I do not have the skills to repair it, it was done with a cheap soldering iron (very cheap) , I have the money to buy another board if anyone has one , preferably a US model but it does not have to be one. All I am doing is cleaning the effected area with vinegar and aclcohol, I will leave it to a professional to repair, there are traces on the top where I have the damage right ?

When it comes to money, I actually have the savings to buy a Falcon if necessary but I want to get a working STE first....
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Would be pretty interesting to see a picture of your cheap soldering iron. Maybe an issue with the iron type.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

STE_DUAL_TOS_PCB.jpg
STE_DUAL_TOS_PCB.jpg (158.57 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Looks like you were using a clothes iron.
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

When I get home I will take a picture of that cheap soldering iron , it is totally oxidized and was given to me , if this tuns out to be something for anyone else who does not have the skills for soldering would serve as an example of what not to do, then let it be so. At least something good will come out of this whole thing for someone else. If only I had known the value of an STE at the time I did it , I never would have touched it. Russ
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Don't get me wrong Russ, it is fixable by using one of the rom boards that Exxos posted and by tracing the broken tracks and connecting with patch wires. This presumed things like the DMA etc still work.

That's why I suggested buying another.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”