PAK issues

Problems with your machine in general.
pakman

PAK issues

Post by pakman »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm .. as my PAK still doesn't work and I know everything else on it does.
Some questions on that:
- Which PCB revision do you have (photo maybe, both sides)?
- Which TOS on the mainboard?
- Which TOS on the PAK?
- Which GAL JEDECs?
- Which jumper settings?
- What is the speed rating of your components (CPU, FPU, EPROMs, GALs, SRAMs, Tag-RAMs?
And finally:
Can you tell more than just "doesn't work"?
What happens when you are switching on?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PAK issues

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 pm .. as my PAK still doesn't work and I know everything else on it does.
Was this pak020 or 030? I have a pak020 and tried multiple setups and never got it working. Though I sent it to RJ and he says it works fine on his machines. I even have the same motherboard as him, also tried various PSUs and voltages and just doesn't work on my boards.

Oddly I did have it working once as I benchmarked it.. It pretty much went in my draw, came out months later, likely out in same motherboard and never worked since. Best I get I think I got was a row of bombs on the screen.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Its on both a 020 and an 030, ill take photos in a bit. I've been trying to get it to ork on to Mega ST's. I do have an STFM to try it in but not put the socket on the CPU yet to do so.

On the 020 I am using 2.06 that I split myself and a version that RJ split just to rule out my error there. I get the usually /Halt High etc but its like its not accessing the ROM.

On the 030 I have 3.06 that has provided to me by another member of the forum (sorry, cant remember ho to spell your name) and again I get as far as a white screen, halt high etc.

For the costs of the GALs I've ordered some more to rule out cheap chinese copies, so will program them and try them. Whilst I'm waiting I'll try it in an STFM too, even though the Mega I've used runs great with other boosters etc.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Was this pak020 or 030? I have a pak020 and tried multiple setups and never got it working. Though I sent it to RJ and he says it works fine on his machines. I even have the same motherboard as him, also tried various PSUs and voltages and just doesn't work on my boards.
Which board version was it exxos? maybe one of my STFM's is the same and I can try it?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm Which board version was it exxos? maybe one of my STFM's is the same and I can try it?
Its the normal STFM boards... https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=56&t=502
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:57 pm
Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm Which board version was it exxos? maybe one of my STFM's is the same and I can try it?
Its the normal STFM boards... https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=56&t=502
Ok, got one of those, will get the cpu socketed
czietz

Post by czietz »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:46 pm For the costs of the GALs I've ordered some more to rule out cheap chinese copies, so will program them and try them. Whilst I'm waiting I'll try it in an STFM too, even though the Mega I've used runs great with other boosters etc.
I think pakman was more referring to the actual version of the files that you program into the GALs.

Also, you didn't answer a very important question of his: "Which TOS on the mainboard?" Also, I assume you have an English language TOS on your PAK?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm sorry, I am busy with the family this weekend. I am a grandparent and my grandchildren are here to visit, so I told you what I knew from memory.

When they leave later I will list the jed files. Tos is English and the mainboard tos is 1.02.
czietz

Post by czietz »

Originally and as mentioned in the PAK manual, only German TOS on the PAK would start with TOS 1.02 or 1.04 installed on the mainboard. Other language versions required special start ROMs on the mainboard, instead. I don't know whether Holger (pakman) ever managed to change that for UK TOS -- and if he did fix it, of course I also don't know whether your TOS on the PAK contains that fix.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I've used the same Tos and Jed files for the 020 as the other guys here have, there's a thread called Pak 020 repository, would link it but not that good with the forum yet.

The 030 details are it's an English but patched version of the 3.06 tos done by Holger for one of the other guys.

Jeds I'll get a bit later on when the grand kids have gone.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”