Falcon issues

Problems with your machine in general.
Steve

Re: Falcon issues

Post by Steve »

Sounds like you need to send the motherboard to someone who can fit a new Dsp for you.
darkxavier

Post by darkxavier »

Yeah, it's a shame you can't do it as you only live 45 miles away.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It may help if you posted a image of the bottom middle of the motherboard (front of ) so we can see what changes might have been done before looking towards changing the DSP.

The area of interest is like the first image on this page... http://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/f ... /index.htm
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
darkxavier

Post by darkxavier »

IMG_20190217_121602.jpg
IMG_20190217_121602.jpg (473.92 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Indeed no clock patch at all.. AFAIK, this shouldn't stop the DSP from working totally though.

Does the DSP get hot, or any of the 3 SRAM chips ? I know there have been a few people who have had the RAM chips fail as well.. Normally one gets a lot hotter than the other two for example..

EDIT:

Your going to need the clock patch fitting and new RTC for starters... Steve ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
dhedberg

Post by dhedberg »

darkxavier wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm I don't have anything like an oscilloscope. That is way past what I can do unfortunately.
Have you managed to get at least a partial refund from the seller? Clearly this is a non-fully working computer which would be pretty obvious to most users. If you want it repaired, best is to find somebody locally (where are you located?) as shipping back and forth will otherwise be quite a lot and there's always the risk of it getting damaged during shipping.

A new DSP is 45 USD from Best Electronics, but with the insured overseas shipping, and custom fees and taxes (if applicable) it will most likely end up being 70 USD or more. I have all the Falcon custom chips and wouldn't mind helping you out fixing the machine but I simply have *no* time in the foreseeable future. Also the shipping would be pretty expensive to and from Sweden (especially from Sweden as the Swedish Postal Service is ridiculously expensive for international packages).

The DSP is a SMD (surface mount) chip, so to replace it you need to find somebody skilled at de-soldering/soldering those type of chips. The good news is that the chip is "just" 80 pins, so it should be fairly straight-forward for somebody experienced.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Darkxavier if you need someone to fit a clock patch and rtc I'm your man. But I can't guarantee it fixes your dsp. I can also recap the psu and or motherboard if required. Let me know in pm if you like.
darkxavier

Post by darkxavier »

dhedberg wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm
darkxavier wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm I don't have anything like an oscilloscope. That is way past what I can do unfortunately.
Have you managed to get at least a partial refund from the seller? Clearly this is a non-fully working computer which would be pretty obvious to most users. If you want it repaired, best is to find somebody locally (where are you located?) as shipping back and forth will otherwise be quite a lot and there's always the risk of it getting damaged during shipping.

A new DSP is 45 USD from Best Electronics, but with the insured overseas shipping, and custom fees and taxes (if applicable) it will most likely end up being 70 USD or more. I have all the Falcon custom chips and wouldn't mind helping you out fixing the machine but I simply have *no* time in the foreseeable future. Also the shipping would be pretty expensive to and from Sweden (especially from Sweden as the Swedish Postal Service is ridiculously expensive for international packages).

The DSP is a SMD (surface mount) chip, so to replace it you need to find somebody skilled at de-soldering/soldering those type of chips. The good news is that the chip is "just" 80 pins, so it should be fairly straight-forward for somebody experienced.
I'm going to chase after a partial refund. The machine came with d2d recording software on the hard disc which fails to boot. I expect he was using that for his music production. So he can't say he didn't know about problems.
darkxavier

Post by darkxavier »

exxos wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 pm Indeed no clock patch at all.. AFAIK, this shouldn't stop the DSP from working totally though.

Does the DSP get hot, or any of the 3 SRAM chips ? I know there have been a few people who have had the RAM chips fail as well.. Normally one gets a lot hotter than the other two for example..

EDIT:

Your going to need the clock patch fitting and new RTC for starters... Steve ?
Checked DSP and SRAM. DSP is just warm and the SRAM are cold.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”