Exporting MIDI files for the Atari from PC

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Exporting MIDI files for the Atari from PC

Post by exxos »

IS this a USB floppy drive ? they generally suck :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Currently watching the Ultrasatan video. This may be a solution for me. :)
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:09 pm IS this a USB floppy drive ? they generally suck :roll:
Technically no, but because I have no 34pin header on my motherboard I'm using a 34pin to USB adapter.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm Based on the fact that that the drive supports 720KB and so does XP:

1. Are you using a 1.44MB floppy disk? If so the FDD media detect will prevent you from formatting at 720KB, so you either need to tape over the media detect hole before you can format, or get a 720KB floppy disk. I'd recommend the latter as 1.44MB floppies have a different media that requires stronger magnetic fields to work. It will work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

2. Does the USB adapter on support 1.44MB? I think it unlikely, but worth a check.

3. Could be some sort of virtual device driver issue, since you're running a floppy on USB through a VM layer on Windows 10.

4. Since you have an Atari, can you format the disk as PC 720KB on that, and then try reading it on the USB floppy in XP? Again, you need to consider the media in use, and if you only have 1.44MB disks, tape over the media detect hole before using on the PC.

Annoying as it is, USB floppies are not a great solution for this sort of thing, since they don't use a 'real' floppy controller. Whilst Kryoflux is a great solution, it may be a bit expensive for your needs.

Have you considered something like a Gotek?

One potential solution is to use an emulator, such as Hatari, and set up a GEMDOS folder on your PC. This is a folder that the emulator sees as a hard drive, but the PC sees just as a folder.

You then copy your files to the GEMDOS folder and then Hatari can see them all. Then create .ST disk images in Hatari and copy the midi files there.

Then copy them to a USB stick, and you can use them with a Gotek.

Alternatively, you could get an Ultrasatan hard disk and format the SD card using PPeras HD driver. The partitions will be accessible under Windows and the Atari so you can transfer your files that way.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks! It looks like I'm gonna go with this. They even have a beautiful clear acrylic version which will look rather nice too!
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

The Floppy Drive is a SonyMPF920-Z
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 pm Based on the fact that that the drive supports 720KB and so does XP:
...snip...

Alternatively, you could get an Ultrasatan hard disk and format the SD card using PPeras HD driver. The partitions will be accessible under Windows and the Atari so you can transfer your files that way.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks! It looks like I'm gonna go with this. They even have a beautiful clear acrylic version which will look rather nice too!
Hi there. I have an Ultrasatan now and am able to transfer files using PPeras HD driver. The only thing is, that when I create the maximum 14 partitions and try to install them by drive letter, a previous letter is changed to J when I get to J. If I keep going another letter is overwritten resulting in only 12 of the 14 partitions being accessible on the desktop. The drives show when the Ultrasatan is initiated. It would be nice to have them all. The maker of the software pointed to the power supply as a possible cause which I am planning to get recapped anyway very soon. Any additional insight into this would be beneficial. Has anyone else successfully installed all 14 drives on the Atari Desktop? The guy in the video only installed C and P so this issue didn't arise.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:12 pm Has anyone else successfully installed all 14 drives on the Atari Desktop? The guy in the video only installed C and P so this issue didn't arise.
C to P *is* 14 drives, so I'm not really sure what you are asking ? You should have no problem installing C-P in TOS. Have you tried HD10 instead ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:12 pm Has anyone else successfully installed all 14 drives on the Atari Desktop? The guy in the video only installed C and P so this issue didn't arise.
C to P *is* 14 drives, so I'm not really sure what you are asking ? You should have no problem installing C-P in TOS. Have you tried HD10 instead ?
He clicked on C and then went to install and changed letter to P and another drive appeared making two. He then just gets on with showing you how you can transfer from PC.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:28 pm He clicked on C and then went to install and changed letter to P and another drive appeared making two. He then just gets on with showing you how you can transfer from PC.
He installed C: and D: drives.. that seems to be all really ? I don't see him doing anything with a drive P...

If you wanted drives C-P then you just do as he did by entering 511MB in C-P and partition it. Of course you need a 8GB SD card to do that.

EDIT:
I think on the PC it may show as drive P ? But I also think you can only have 1 partition which is PC compatible...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 pm
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:28 pm He clicked on C and then went to install and changed letter to P and another drive appeared making two. He then just gets on with showing you how you can transfer from PC.
He installed C: and D: drives.. that seems to be all really ? I don't see him doing anything with a drive P...

If you wanted drives C-P then you just do as he did by entering 511MB in C-P and partition it. Of course you need a 8GB SD card to do that.

EDIT:
I think on the PC it may show as drive P ? But I also think you can only have 1 partition which is PC compatible...
Ah, yeah. I don't know where I got that P from. If I do the C-P as he does. It goes pear-shaped at the installation of letter J (It names an already installed drive J. When I did the 12 they were all visible on insertion into the PC which is a bit much. :D I just setted on Drive C and D to get the ball rolling. P1 and E2 are my 2 partitioned drives just now.
Annotation 2019-09-27 204951 copy.jpg
Annotation 2019-09-27 204951 copy.jpg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 3823 times

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”