Atari still crashing after power supply recap.

Problems with your machine in general.
Cosmic Puppet

Re: Atari still crashing after power supply recap.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Just a final question about stability. Is it reasonable to expect the Atari to never crash? Do you guys have machines that never ever crash? Just need to know where my expectations should be.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm Just a final question about stability. Is it reasonable to expect the Atari to never crash? Do you guys have machines that never ever crash? Just need to know where my expectations should be.
I've run machines for days constantly while testing boosters and such and never had them crash. Of course this depends on if your talking about a hardware malfunction causing a crash, or just buggy software causing a crash.

Or in some cases, mains brownouts etc can cause a machine to crash.. Plugging in hardware with the power on can cause a crash.. Overheating of the PSU can cause a crash..

Keep your machine serviced and up to date with current mods and fixes and it shouldn't ever crash.. in theory.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:47 pm
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm Just a final question about stability. Is it reasonable to expect the Atari to never crash? Do you guys have machines that never ever crash? Just need to know where my expectations should be.
I've run machines for days constantly while testing boosters and such and never had them crash. Of course this depends on if your talking about a hardware malfunction causing a crash, or just buggy software causing a crash.

Or in some cases, mains brownouts etc can cause a machine to crash.. Plugging in hardware with the power on can cause a crash.. Overheating of the PSU can cause a crash..

Keep your machine serviced and up to date with current mods and fixes and it shouldn't ever crash.. in theory.
Thanks. After having a break from all things Atari I thought of a thing last night to test. Basically I could not format a floppy disk with the Ultrasatan plugged into the hard disk port (It would say it was corrupted but would work fine if I unplugged the ultrasatan). So...I have just fired up the Atari and successfully formatted a floppy disk with the Ultrasatan on. So basically having the psu recapped has fixed this fault! Does this mean the devices weren't getting the correct power? Literally just punched the air like Flash Gordon lol
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm Thanks. After having a break from all things Atari I thought of a thing last night to test. Basically I could not format a floppy disk with the Ultrasatan plugged into the hard disk port (It would say it was corrupted but would work fine if I unplugged the ultrasatan). So...I have just fired up the Atari and successfully formatted a floppy disk with the Ultrasatan on. So basically having the psu recapped has fixed this fault! Does this mean the devices weren't getting the correct power? Literally just punched the air like Flash Gordon lol
Have you done the DMA and floppy fixes as mentioned in earlier posts ? with so many faults going on its hard to keep track. but you should do them anyway to make sure you don't have such issues again. The PSU needs a proper recap, having inadequate caps in the PSU will likely kill your ST after a while.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 pm Have you done the DMA and floppy fixes as mentioned in earlier posts ? with so many faults going on its hard to keep track. but you should do them anyway to make sure you don't have such issues again. The PSU needs a proper recap, having inadequate caps in the PSU will likely kill your ST after a while.
I can't find the DMA and floppy reference, but haven't done them as I don't know what they are. Just had the PSU recapped. Don't forget it's a 110v. If you think I can improve it further I may do more in the future. What does DMA stand for?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:03 pm https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1585

parts 1,3,4 at least.
Thanks Exxos. I've bookmarked that page. Pretty exhausted for now.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 pm Probably not the issue but don't forget about the MIDI thru functionality on the MIDI OUT socket (the two unused pins?).
I have some vague memories of some odd problems with some MIDI leads due to this... some cables worked fine in any configuration but others only worked on the MIDI IN socket of the ST.
Read the MIDI section of my keyboard manual today and it states MIDI thru set off by default. I switched it on to see what would happen and it crashes the Atari when Notator loads. Switched it off again and Notator loaded normally. MIDI OFFLINE! message still present in both cases.

This is what the manual has to say about it:
20191020_180334smaller.jpg
20191020_180334smaller.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Since I've used these cables for over 20 years. I'm going to replace them next week (can't hurt.)

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”