PAK68/3 floppy not working

Problems with your machine in general.
czietz

Re: PAK68/3 floppy not working

Post by czietz »

Holger (pakman) is doing well, no need to worry. He's just very busy with several projects at once.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

I made especially for you a buffer like all MSTE or Atari TT have it ...

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p412358

I can you give the gerber files so you can order some pcb´s from pcbway for 5,- Dollar plus postage. I not know if it works but you can try ...
acsibuffer.png
acsibuffer.png (111.83 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:59 pm ... the PAK68/3 is installed and running, however the floppy drive is not working when in 68030 mode. It works without the PAK installed and also if the PAK is installed but running in alternate operating mode i.e. using the 68000.
When you only connect the Floppy without anything into the DMA port your floppy should be work ...
TheNameOfTheGame

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

frank.lukas wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:18 pm I made especially for you a buffer like all MSTE or Atari TT have it ...

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p412358

I can you give the gerber files so you can order some pcb´s from pcbway for 5,- Dollar plus postage. I not know if it works but you can try ...

acsibuffer.png
Oh, sorry Frank, I didn't know you were making the design for this particular problem. Thanks for that, I can try to have a few boards made. I wonder though if it will fit on my ST board with the PuPla/2 and PAK68 installed. Would it be placed in the DMA chip socket?
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:59 pm ... the PAK68/3 is installed and running, however the floppy drive is not working when in 68030 mode. It works without the PAK installed and also if the PAK is installed but running in alternate operating mode i.e. using the 68000.
When you only connect the Floppy without anything into the DMA port your floppy should be work ...
Well, the floppy doesn't work with the PAK even with no acsi device plugged in. I tried the pullups on the lines, but that didn't work either. So I am thinking I need the buffer.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:29 pm Well, the floppy doesn't work with the PAK even with no acsi device plugged in.
By that I think my STE buffer do not help. With my Mega ST Board I have not such problems. I think you can try make a new FDD cable extremly short ...
TheNameOfTheGame

frank.lukas wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:29 pm Well, the floppy doesn't work with the PAK even with no acsi device plugged in.
By that I think my STE buffer do not help. With my Mega ST Board I have not such problems. I think you can try make a new FDD cable extremly short ...
Well, the ultrasatan doesn't work either, so I think a shorter floppy cable might not fix the problem.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

The circuit from a Mega ST is different to the 260/520ST in relation to the "DMA INT", "FDD INT" and "DRQ" ...

Try to change R102 from 4,7K to 1K
TheNameOfTheGame

czietz wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 am Holger (pakman) is doing well, no need to worry. He's just very busy with several projects at once.
Hmm, of course I am glad he is doing well, but weird he never responded for over a year. I know other users that never got a reply either. Oh well, he is busy with other things. Strange.
czietz

Post by czietz »

I did not read the entire thread (nor do I have time to). But there were unauthorized PAK68/3 ripoffs with faulty PCBs. Is it already clear that you did not end up with one of those? (And before you ask: No, I don't know how to tell them apart.)
TheNameOfTheGame

Never heard of those and no, I don't have any idea if I have one or not.
czietz

Post by czietz »

czietz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:52 pm But there were unauthorized PAK68/3 ripoffs with faulty PCBs. [...] (And before you ask: No, I don't know how to tell them apart.)
PS: Now I know. Check connectivity between pin 14 of GAL U1 and pin 14 of GAL U2. The fake faulty PAK68/3 do not have connectivity between those two pins.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”