CT63 boots fine in 060 but black screen in 030 mode

Problems with your machine in general.
Umberto1st

CT63 boots fine in 060 but black screen in 030 mode

Post by Umberto1st »

I recently replaced my Combel, 030 and one of the Gal chips on my falcon. Got it working finally after two years sitting on the shelf. Installed the CT63 and have been using it for about a week with little to no problems in terms of stability. A few days ago I installed the Nemesis clock patch prior to installing the Nemesis, to test it for stability. I know Czuba recommends removing any clock patches and going with a terminating resistor on the DMA. I was playing a game of PMdoom today in 060 mode and shut down, switched over to 030 mode and got a black screen. Went back to 060 mode and it booted fine. So I figured it was a NVRAM issue and reset the NVRAM, but still a black screen in 030 mode. I then removed the clock patch and restored it to Czubas recommended patch. Still black screen in 030 mode. I then replaced the 16meg ram module, TOS 4.04 chip and all the Gal chips and still black screen in 030 mode. I swapped out the Pico PSU with a regular ATX and then to the original Atari PSU, still a black screen in 030 mode. I have tried the Falcon test kit hooked to a dumb terminal and get nothing from the rs232 port in 030 and 060 modes. BUT the machine boots almost perfectly in 060 mode, with the exception that I have no mouse controll in Xboot, but the mouse works perfectly on the desktop. I was hoping that one of you guys could give me a time saving idea

Rob
3)1040 stf/m, 2)Mega 4 ST, 1)STE, 1)Mega STE, 1)STacy, 2)Falcon 030
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CT63 boots fine in 060 but black screen in 030 mode

Post by exxos »

Can you boot without the ct60 installed ? Don't forget the jumper link. Also without any bus speeders installed. You need to see if a stock machine works, if not, then likely something bad with the CPU. Also that termination resistor people have had problems of it causing the machine not to boot. I'd suggest you remove it,
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

I appreciate the response Chris. I did all of the above mentioned. Pulled the ct63, restored the jumper on the expansion, removed all clock patches including Rodolphe's terminating resistor, reinstalled the original recapped Atari PSU, reset the dallas clock/nvram chip that I modified years ago with a replaceable battery, by pulling the battery. But still a black screen. I tried applying pressure with a non conductive burnishing tool to the pins of the 030 and combel chips, thinking it might be a cold solder joint but still a black screen. I think I'll have to look to see if the cpu is halted, look at BERR to see if the combel is throwing out an error. If those are good I'll look a XROM 3 AND 4 to see if its trying to read the falcon test cart. I'll look at the low and high data strobes. to see if the cpu is doing anything. I have a sneaky suspicion that the NVRAM may not be clearing out or may be corrupt. My question to you is what should I see from the dallas chip at boot up? beings you re-engineered the clock chip. Also any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks Rob

One other thing, would it be possible to get the JED file for the ste 32 mhz booster that I purchased from you a few years back, I let the smoke out of my gal chip.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

If the NVRAM is corrupt, the drive light will flash very fast for a couple of seconds, then not flash for a couple of seconds and just keep on doing that.

The jed is in the booster section under the STE booster section.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

Good I guess I wont need to worry about the nvram

thanks
Umberto1st

Post by Umberto1st »

Fixed it, 2 cold solder joints on the cpu

Thanks for the input